Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PC won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mairon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:56 PM

Hello, I've been experiencing problems with my PC for months now. When I try to turn on the computer on, it won't boot, there is no beep sound, monitor remains black, but the computer is working, only the upper green lamp is working while the lower one isn't. Furthermore, I have to shut down the power because nothing else works, computer won't shut down and the buttons aren't working. 

Sometimes PC turns on normally, but with time the problem intensified until, a week ago, it wouldn't turn on at all meaning the PC is working I can hear the cooler but apart from that, it's completely dead. 

I called a friend who works with computer to check what's wrong, he checked the motherboard, tried to turn it on with another graphic card, but it did not work. Then he thought it's the power supply, he removed it, checked it and returned it, the PC then finally turned on and he saw the voltage values for the motherboard were slightly higher and he thought that's the problem. For some days, the PC worked with old power supply and then I bought the new power supply, it worked for one day and the next the PC again could not turn on (like before). I don't know what else to do, is it possible the motherboard is damaged and new power supply would not help or that's not the problem at all? I really thought power supply was the problem, but now I doubt it. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Please post the make and model number of this computer system.

Did the person who looked at your computer inspect the condition of the electrolytic capacitors for possible canister bulging or leaking electrolyte?

Often this condition is observed on older motherboards and can be a cause of intermittent startup issues.

Other issues can be caused by another piece of hardware failing or faulty power switches in the computer case if this is a desktop computer.

We can offer you better assistance if we know what we are working with here, please post the make, model number, if it is a desktop or laptop computer.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules
My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 OldPhil

• Members
  • 3,957 posts
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

Carefully look over the wires coming from the front panel to the board, I changed out a mother board years back only to find the problem followed.  finally found a small chaff right where the wires exited the front panel into the machine.  You can check for bad wires by pulling all the leads coming from the front to the board, then find the switch pins momentarily short the two pins if the machine starts great!  If not I am leaning toward the board, if you end up going for a board make sure it is the exact make,model and version.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users