Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 - Kernal Data Inpage Error BSOD.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SierraMyrn

SierraMyrn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

· OS - Windows 8.1
· x86 x64 
· What was original installed OS on system? Windows 8.1
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) 
· Age of system (hardware) 2012 - 2014.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? System Reset within the last 24 hours. Otherwise no.
· CPU i7 - 4700 CPU 2.40GHz
· Video Card Uncertain.
· System Manufacturer ASUS
· Exact model number Uncertain.
· Laptop or Desktop? Laptop.

Been periodically for the last month been getting two types of BSoDs.

Kernal Data Inpage Error and DPC Watchdog_violation

After a while, BSOD caused Boot up files to become either missing/damaged or inaccessible, pulling up a blue Recovery page usually specifying a error due to Boot file.

This was fixed by doing a System Reset, using the Shift + F8 key.

Within less then a hour, another blue screen occurred causing a Kernal Data Inpage Error. Now on bootup, my laptop lingers at a gray page, until eventually defaulting to Aptio Setup Utility. If any further information is required, I'll do my best to provide it, thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:29 PM

Can you get into Windows?
Have you backed your data up?

Do you have recovery disks/drives?

Were there any problems with the System Reset?

Are you able to boot to a disk (such as MemTest86+ or Seagate Seatools)?   The instructions for the bootable disks are here:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If you can get into Windows, Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SierraMyrn

SierraMyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

Can you get into Windows?
Have you backed your data up?

Do you have recovery disks/drives?

Were there any problems with the System Reset?

Are you able to boot to a disk (such as MemTest86+ or Seagate Seatools)?   The instructions for the bootable disks are here:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

If you can get into Windows, Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

#1. Can you get into windows. 

No. I'm attempting to do a Shift + F8 procedure to open up the recovery module but it doesn't seem to be working. However that seems to be a common problem with windows 8.1 and may get some time. 

#2. Have I backed up my data.

No. But I wouldn't be extremely concerned about losing anything on there. Extreme sad, yes. But...

#3. I don't have any recovery disks. However, if it counts, shift f8 on boot up allows me to start up a recovery system where I can either reset/reinstall the necessary windows files/ or reinstall windows completely. Example:: http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

#4 The initial system refresh went relatively well. But then I encountered another blue screen within 2 days. Thinking it to be relevant to System Updates. I did a 2nd system refresh, and started reinstalling programs. Chrome and watched youtube. Only to get another blue screen, merely a hour after System refresh, leaving my PC in the condition specified in the opening post. 

I saw the sticky, but I'm currently unable to get into windows. I'm going to continue to reboot and seeing if I can get shift+f8 to work.

Edited by SierraMyrn, 02 June 2015 - 03:41 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

I would strongly suggest that you take steps to recover your data first.  Should this be a dying hard drive, you'll have limited time to access the data (and each successive attempt will shorten the life of the drive - making data recovery much more expensive).

As it's a laptop, the easiest way would be to boot to a "Live" operating system (Windows PE/RE environment, a Live Linux distro, or some other bootable OS that can copy to an external drive) and copy the data to an external drive.  The easiest way would be to copy the Users directory - as that contains most all of the information in Win8/8.1 systems.  You'd get a lot of extra stuff (as the AppData directory is usually large) - but that's where your Chrome bookmarks and preferences are stored.

As it's a Win8 system, it may be difficult to find a bootable disk that'll work in SecureBoot - so you may have to fiddle in the UEFI to turn off SecureBoot and enable CSM/Legacy mode.  Post back for more details if you need this.

EDIT:  You can also do it from the Startup Repair screen - by using the Command Prompt option.  But this requires some work at the command line - so you may not be comfortable with it.

Once the data is recovered, we can move on from there.

Edited by usasma, 02 June 2015 - 03:58 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SierraMyrn

SierraMyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

I'd like to say that it's unlikely that it's a dying drive, as the laptop was purchased brand new off Amazon off less then a year ago. But I suppose things and defects do happen. 

I've never done a live operating system to ever copy data onto an external drive. But I'll research the details and get back to you quickly. 

Thank you for assistance in helping me with my laptop. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Some links that might help:  https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+backup+a+hard+drive&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#safe=off&q=how+to+backup+a+hard+drive+that+won%27t+boot&revid=209378838

#7 SierraMyrn

SierraMyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 02:10 PM

Sorry for the delay, all the necessary data was moved to an external.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:59 AM

I have seen hard drives come dead out of the box.  At work I always run diagnostics before attempting to repair a system.

Follow the instructions for SeaGate SeaTools diagnostics from here:  http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

If you can't get the system to boot to the disk, post back here for suggestions on how to disable SecureBoot and enable CSM/legacy mode (so you can boot to the diagnostic disk).

In most cases with an Asus, you can tap F8 to access the boot menu.  Also may be F2, F9, Del

With an exact model number I may be able to research it further.

#9 SierraMyrn

SierraMyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:21 PM

Long Story Short: I opened my CD/DVD Drive on the left side of my laptop, and booted up with it still opened and it allowed me to boot. The only other significant thing I changed was removing my battery and putting it in again, but it was the same battery.

I'll start out by saying that, I'm not sure how to access the exact model of my laptop or hard-drive withyout opening it. But I do have a serial #. And it is a 17 inch ASuS laptop. Just if it's a ASUS ROG G750JW or G750JX or JY. I'm not too certain of. I'll see if I can get a more accurate model later.

--------------------------------------

Anyways, after picking up an alternate computer to burn the disc on. I was playing around with the settings to disable Secure Boot and enable CSM legacy mode.in what I believe was the boot menu, there was a specific name which I can't particularly recall right now.

At any rate, in the boot menu. The boot menu contained 0 boot up prioritizes, which I believe for other computer models would traditionall include stuff like, speakers, hard drive typically being #1. But mine was just blank. Nothing was there. Now if this is typical for a ASUS model, or if I had some default setting that makes it not display, that could be a possibility.

Anyways, after burning the Seatools Diagnostics on a blank CD, I placed it in the laptop DVD/CD drive and booted up my computer. Without closing the CD/DVD drive. I'm not sure if this influenced anything. However, my laptop booted up as normal. It was relatively slow, which I figured was understandable because a merely a hour before I made this thread prior, I did a System Refresh.

I haven't touched my laptop yet. So it's hard to say if it won't just blue screen again within the next few hours. But I'll just leave it plugged in and charging until I get further instructions what to do. Windows seems to be running fine, but once again I haven't touched it.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 04:28 AM

It appears that you can access the BIOS/UEFI and the boot menu - so the model number isn't necessary.

If booting with the CD/DVD drive closed will cause a BSOD - then leave the door open until you can remove the CD/DVD drive from the system (it's only held in with one screw).

New drives are fairly inexpensive online - just be sure that you get one from a place that you can return it for your money back (in case it's not the drive, but your motherboard or another component).

At some point you'll need to run the diagnostics in order to see if the hard drive passes or not.

Without a CD/DVD drive you'll have to use a USB drive to run the diagnostics.  I'd suggest YUMI for booting ISO files - as that's the only one that I have used outside of work.

It's free from here:  http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users