Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free version of Malware bytes a backdoor to other viruses?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jerrymck

jerrymck

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:19 PM

Ok, So I was lectured today by a Senior IT Tech about how the Free version of Malwarebytes is a backdoor for other viruses. He told me that the free version, if left installed on someones computer, can actually allow viruses to come back in.

He also said the same thing about AVG FREE.

I think this is absurd. I agree that a lot of free software can include viruses in the installation package but I don't think that Malwarebytes OR AVG create back doors and basically open up tunnel for a traffic of only viruses to come in and out of. It sounds honestly ridiculous.

and this assumption is coming from somebody who uses CUTEPDF Writer on his clients machines.

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:23 PM

Hi jerrymck :)

I don't know who that Senior IT Tech is, but he should think about retiring as soon as he can because he obviously got it all wrong. Malwarebytes is a worldwide known Antimalware program, and one of the best, if not the best there is. There's no way that installing it would at the same time install a backdoor to allow malware to infect your system. Also, why would the free version does that, but not the paid one? It doesn't make sense at all. Same for AVG.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:25 PM

I don't know who that Senior IT Tech is, but he should think about retiring as soon as he can because he obviously got it all wrong. Malwarebytes is a worldwide known Antimalware program, and one of the best, if not the best there is. There's no way that installing it would at the same time install a backdoor to allow malware to infect your system. Also, why would the free version does that, but not the paid one? It doesn't make sense at all. Same for AVG.

Thank You! Well he seems to point the finger at me for a Clients PC not working properly. Her quickbooks app had stopped working a few days after I removed a ton of viruses from her PC with MBAM, ADW Cleaner, and JRT.

So his assumption is that MBAM caused more viruses to come and therefore, destroyed her quickbooks.

Craigslist PC Technicians be like "Oh you have a virus? Let me defrag your hard drive and delete unused desktop icons for you. And if you're lucky, I'll even empty your recycling bin! :smash:

#4 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

oh, and that MBAM must have disabled her Windows Update. Which was the culprit of her quickbooks not working.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

That's most likely not what happened. Plus, it's always possible that the application crashed at some point, corrupting the installation. There's tons of reasons for why a program can stop working, malware isn't the only one.

Malwarebytes (Free and Premium) won't even interact with the Windows Updates. This guy should really consider leaving the field while he can :P

Edited by Aura., 02 June 2015 - 02:27 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

That's most likely not what happened. Plus, it's always possible that the application crashed at some point, corrupting the installation. There's tons of reasons for why a program can stop working, malware isn't the only one.

Malwarebytes (Free and Premium) won't even interact with the Windows Updates. This guy should really consider leaving the field w

Well he's a lot more experienced than I am. He's been doing this probably since I was a baby. I'm 26, so that's a long time. 

I just wanted to get the opinions of others before I am on blamed.

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

Malwarebytes in its freeware mode does not provide real time protection, so if you only use the free version and does not practice safe surfing then reinfection is entirely possible.

However MBAM is not a backdoor for malware - various members of Malwarebytes Corporation are helpers who have been part of the antimalware community for a long time, and still continued to help victims of malware infections alongside their day job.

Thank You! Well he seems to point the finger at me for a Clients PC not working properly. Her quickbooks app had stopped working a few days after I removed a ton of viruses from her PC with MBAM, ADW Cleaner, and JRT.
So his assumption is that MBAM caused more viruses to come and therefore, destroyed her quickbooks.

Please be noted that there are still certain kinds of malware those three tools you mentioned do not detect - you will need to add another scanner that covers them. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a good option.

Alex

Edited by Alexstrasza, 02 June 2015 - 02:34 PM.

#8 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:38 PM

Malwarebytes in its freeware mode does not provide real time protection, so if you only use the free version and does not practice safe surfing then reinfection is entirely possible.

However MBAM is not a backdoor for malware - various members of Malwarebytes Corporation are helpers who have been part of the antimalware community for a long time, and still continued to help victims of malware infections alongside their day job.

Please be noted that there are still certain kinds of malware those three tools you mentioned do not detect - you will need to add another scanner that covers them. Emsisoft Emergency Kit is a good option.

Alex

right, I am aware that the free version does not actively protect you. and as for the Emsisoft, I'll check it out. thank you

So now that's 2 people that find it ridiculous that MBAM is a back door for viruses and also all of my searching on google has proven me correct. I emailed him asking to show me the evidence that MBAM causes viruses.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Trust me, there's way more than 2 people who find it ridiculous that Malwarebytes is a backdoor. And even there, we are people who knows that Malwarebytes isn't a backdoor :P

unite_blue.png

#10 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:00 PM

Trust me, there's way more than 2 people who find it ridiculous that Malwarebytes is a backdoor. And even there, we are people who knows that Malwarebytes isn't a backdoor :P

this

#11 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

this

I wish you guys could be here to back me up. It's hard when you're the young guy and he's the older, more trusted senior.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:03 PM

Redirect him to this thread and ask him to come debate about it if he doesn't believe us?

unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

Your Senior IT Tech is either having a senior moment or just does not understand what the free version of Malwarebytes is supposed to do which is to serve as a stand-alone malware scanner. It does not block malware from entering in the first place since it has no real time protection, thus, there is no way it can allow malware to re-enter.

Just ask him where he is getting his information because you want to learn and share it with others. :whistle:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 jerrymck

jerrymck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:12 PM

Your Senior IT Tech is either having a senior moment or just does not understand what the free version of Malwarebytes is supposed to do which is to serve as a stand-alone malware scanner. It does not block malware from entering in the first place since it has no real time protection, thus, there is no way it can allow malware to re-enter.

Just ask him where he is getting his information because you want to learn and share it with others. :whistle:

That's exactly what I said to him. The other problem is getting the rest at the office to believe that I'm not as dumb as he thinks I am ha

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:26 PM

Print this page and give it to him and others in your office...Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free vs Premium features.

If he can't read...then ask his supervisor to read it to him.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users