Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Win 10 have a Program Compatibility Feature?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:55 PM

Hi folks,

I am currently maintaining just Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) on numerous family and sister-in-law desktops and laptops.

Some of the programs we run (particularly mine) were originally designed to run on Windows 98, and are currently being run in Windows 7 using Windows XP program compatibility mode.  (I still have my reliable, old Windows 98 computer stashed in a corner, but don't use it any more.)

Does Windows 10 have a similar feature allowing older software programs to run in Windows XP compatibility mode?

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

Hi Torvald :)

Windows 10 still have "Compatibility Mode" for programs. See the thread below:

http://www.windows10forums.com/articles/compatibility-mode.7/

It even goes down to Windows 95.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

The long and the short of it... Tested on Windows 10 TP Build 10130

Right clicking an executable file offers an option: Troubleshoot compatibility.

Selecting the  Troubleshoot compatibility option  a Program Compatatibility Troubleshooter opens, scanning the executable.

When the Troubleshooter completes it's scan, you are offered 2 options

1. Try recommended settings
   Select this option to test run program using recommended compatability settings

2. Troubleshoot program
   Select this option to choose compatability settings based on problems you notice

That's the long answer!

The short answer is Yes!

Hope this helps you.

Please keep BC posted!

#4 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:39 PM

Thanks, guys.  That's great news!

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

No problem Torvald :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:42 AM

Hi folks,

I am currently maintaining just Windows 7 (both 32-bit and 64-bit) on numerous family and sister-in-law desktops and laptops.

Some of the programs we run (particularly mine) were originally designed to run on Windows 98, and are currently being run in Windows 7 using Windows XP program compatibility mode.  (I still have my reliable, old Windows 98 computer stashed in a corner, but don't use it any more.)

Does Windows 10 have a similar feature allowing older software programs to run in Windows XP compatibility mode?

64 bit Windows of any version will not run 16 bit applications that's why Microsoft created XP mode for Windows 7 64 bit.  So any application that runs in WIndows 7 64 bit should run on Windows 10. There is a compatibility checker that MS sent out with the icon it puts on your taskbar. I ran it on my system and it said Norton 360 will not run, It said my Intel Bluetooth driver won't  work and VMplayer will need to be reinstalled to work. After MS sent the icon Symantec sent out a message that Norton 360 will be Windows 10 certified in the next couple of weeks. So if any app is still supported it will be updated to run with Windows 10. But if the company that writes the software is now longer around or the product has been discontinued it will probably not work.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:52 AM

But if the company that writes the software is now longer around or the product has been discontinued it will probably not work.

There will always be the solution to create a VM, install the desired Windows version in it and run the software from there, if it's really that vital. I can also understand why VMware Player will need to be reinstalled, I somehow expect the same from VirtualBox, thought the "Check your PC" feature didn't return any problem for me.

unite_blue.png

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:59 PM

I have VMware Player installed on my Windows 7 32-bit machine. It came with the CD version of my car's service manual. When I did the Windows 10 compatibility check that is part of the Windows 10 upgrade icon in the system tray, I did not receive any warnings that VMware Player might not work. Should I expect a problem?

#9 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

Well it said you dont so you probably won't. I did the test on Windows 8.1 64 bit. I have a older core duo laptop that it said everything will work.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:52 PM

If the "Check my PC" feature didn't return anything (warning, error, etc.) then you'll be fine. But just to be sure, I would run it once again right before the upgrade, in case you upgraded a program, driver, etc. during that period that wouldn't be Windows 10 compatible.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users