Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moved 2GB to external HDD using Win7, plugged drive into 8.1, folder gone

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CaitieHelp

CaitieHelp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Here's exactly what I did:

I have a 3TB Seagate hard drive that I primarily use with my Windows 8.1 machine every day. I turned off that computer, unplugged the drive, and plugged it into my Windows 7 laptop. I moved (not copied) about 2GB from C:\ImportantPhotos to the external drive to Z:\Photos\Unsorted. The files moved in about 7 minutes. They were gone from my Windows 7 laptop and appeared fine on my external hard drive.

I then plugged the hard drive back into my Windows 8.1 primary machine and turned it on. When I went to navigate to the Z:\Photos\Unsorted\, I saw ImportantPhotos folder and was pleased to know this was a success. I mean, why wouldn't it be? However, when I clicked the folder it gave me an error about the folder not being available, and now the folder is completely gone. I tried to view the folder back on the Win7 laptop, and it was still missing completely.

Where did my files go? Did I lose them completely :(

(Possibly relevant: There was definitely activity on the external drive, as the parent folder (Unsorted) shows Date Modified time of exactly the time the files were moved.)

THANK YOU for any help help! My engagement photos are on there!!! If you need any more information at all, please ask!

Edited by CaitieHelp, 02 June 2015 - 01:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:24 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Hindsight is 20/20 but for important files it is always best to copy and not move. You can always delete the originals once you know the copy was successful.

That being said Unhide your files and folders as shown here. Do you see the folder on the external drive or on your C: Drive? If not then in the search box type in the name of the folder you moved the files to. Does a search find the folder?

#3 CaitieHelp

CaitieHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Hindsight is 20/20 but for important files it is always best to copy and not move. You can always delete the originals once you know the copy was successful.

That being said Unhide your files and folders as shown here. Do you see the folder on the external drive or on your C: Drive? If not then in the search box type in the name of the folder you moved the files to. Does a search find the folder?

I agree.. copy is best. I use this hard drive daily and have never had an issue, so I wasn't expecting this.

All the system folders and protected files are shown. The folder is not showing up in its original source location nor the external device (tried both the 8.1 and 7 devices to view the external device). It's just.. "gone".

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:38 PM

Firstly I would not run the Windows 7 computer because if the files are still there, any writes to the drive may overwrite them which would prevent and software recovery. Try the following but this will take some time because the drive is 3TB. Download Recuva (only the pro version needs to be purchased) to your Windows 8 computer. Run it and do a full scan of the 3TB drive. Always copy the files back to the Windows 8 computer and not the external drive. If Recuva does not find anything then download Easeus Data Recovery and do a scan. It will let you recover up to 1GB free. After that you would need to purchase a key.

Edit: Is everything gone on the 3TB drive or only the folder with pictures? Does Disk Management show the 3TB drive as a full 3TB or does it show as RAW?

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 June 2015 - 02:01 PM.

#5 CaitieHelp

CaitieHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:51 PM

Firstly I would not run the Windows 7 computer because if the files are still there, any writes to the drive may overwrite them which would prevent and software recovery. Try the following but this will take some time because the drive is 3TB. Download Recuva (only the pro version needs to be purchased) to your Windows 8 computer. Run it and do a full scan of the 3TB drive. Always copy the files back to the Windows 8 computer and not the external drive. If Recuva does not find anything then download Easeus Data Recovery and do a scan. It will let you recover up to 1GB free. After that you would need to purchase a key.

Edit: Is everything gone on the 3TB drive or only the folder with pictures? Does Disk Management show the 3TB drive as a full 3TB or does it show as RAW?

Recuva, GetDataBack, and Easeus didn't help on the Win7 device. It looks like it found some of the files, but when I recovered them they were all damaged and unviewable.

The 3TB appears to be fine except for that one folder. I noticed that there was definitely activity on the external drive, as the parent folder (Unsorted) shows Date Modified time of exactly the time the files were moved.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:27 PM

The only thing I can think of is to do a chkdsk /r on the external drive and hope it will correct any file system corruption. Then do another scan with Easeus and see if it finds files that are not damaged.

I am not sure if this was your problem but if you went over the 2.2TB barrier filesystem is possible depending on your mass storage driver.

http://www.theprofessionalphotographyforum.com/forums/technical/warning-re-2-2tb-limit-on-3tb-drives/

#7 CaitieHelp

CaitieHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:43 AM

Definitely not 2.2 barrier related, but thanks for the suggestion! I did do a checkdisk (via the Windows GUI, not cmd) and it found errors but did not show the folder/files, unfortunately.

The only thing I can think of is to do a chkdsk /r on the external drive and hope it will correct any file system corruption. Then do another scan with Easeus and see if it finds files that are not damaged.

I am not sure if this was your problem but if you went over the 2.2TB barrier filesystem is possible depending on your mass storage driver.

http://www.theprofessionalphotographyforum.com/forums/technical/warning-re-2-2tb-limit-on-3tb-drives/

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

The only other idea I can suggest is to remove the drive from the Windows 7 computer and attach it to the Windows 8 computer then do a scan using Easeus. You can either use a USB enclosure or USB adapter. Remove the battery and power adapter before removing the drive.

Edit: When files are moved the files on the original computer are marked as deleted but they should still be on the Windows 7 computer's HDD.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 June 2015 - 10:31 AM.

#9 CaitieHelp

CaitieHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the constant help. I searched the Windows 7 drive using RunTimeGetDataBack and Easeus, and it found about 50-75% of the files. When I recovered them, though, they were all damaged and unreadable except for 2 :(

The only other idea I can suggest is to remove the drive from the Windows 7 computer and attach it to the Windows 8 computer then do a scan using Easeus. You can either use a USB enclosure or USB adapter. Remove the battery and power adapter before removing the drive.

Edit: When files are moved the files on the original computer are marked as deleted but they should still be on the Windows 7 computer's HDD.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,827 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 10:59 AM

I am out of ideas and am sorry to say that it looks like your photos are unrecoverable. I take it there is no other source of the photos, possibly still on the camera they were taken with?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users