Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best router for a small apartment

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 des111

des111

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

I need a new router as mine as old and cuts out every so often. I live in a 700 sq foot apartment with a den(usually have a low signal here).

I am willing to spend up to $120 but I have no idea what specs I need. What would my best option for a router be? My current internet is a 100mbps and when I do speed test I get 55mbps.

I saw this article, so is there any reason I shouldn't go with this one?

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

There is no way to answer that other than: The best router is the one that will work for your situation.

There is no point buying the latest, most powerful router if you don't A) need the power(coverage) B) the latest speed. But given a $120 budget you should be able to find a great router to fit your need.

I am assuming when you said "this one" from that article you meant their #1 pick. If it works for you, then sure it looks like it would be great. The issue most people have with wireless is they have it stuck in a corner somewhere or on one side of their house. Get it centrally located and higher in the air. I think you'll find you won't have as many "deadish" spots.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 des111

des111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:07 AM

There is no way to answer that other than: The best router is the one that will work for your situation.

There is no point buying the latest, most powerful router if you don't A) need the power(coverage) B) the latest speed. But given a $120 budget you should be able to find a great router to fit your need.

I am assuming when you said "this one" from that article you meant their #1 pick. If it works for you, then sure it looks like it would be great. The issue most people have with wireless is they have it stuck in a corner somewhere or on one side of their house. Get it centrally located and higher in the air. I think you'll find you won't have as many "deadish" spots.

Hi CaveDweller,

Thanks for the response. I was referring to the TP-Link Archer C7. My issue is that I don't know what I need. I want something that has good range and speed. Now, do I really need a $109 router, or will a $60-70 router be just as good for my small apartment. Basically, I just need someone who knows what they are doing to pick me the best one for my situation so I won't feel like I picked the wrong one myself.

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

"My issue is that I don't know what I need"

--- I agree with CaveDweller2 comments

--- It was a good idea to post one you are wondering about

I suspect this one should suit your needs: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 Wireless N600 Dual Band Router, Gigabit, 2.4GHz 300Mbps+5Ghz 300Mbps, 2 USB port, Wireless On/Off Switch

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3836205&csid=_61

How about the modem/router provided by your ISP?

--- It’s router isn’t wireless?

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:20 PM

There are 3 things you need to do:

1 - What the devices you have need to connect at the best speed for them?

2 - A site survey

3 - What router's features best match what you learn from steps 1 and 2

1 - how new are your devices? Are they 2.4 or 5 Ghz? G? N? AC? And yes you can list them here and we can look them up but I'd advise doing the research yourself.

2- this is easy on your phone get an app named wifi analyzer - look through the screens for 2.4 and 5 Ghz channel selection to see what the saturation is around you.

3 - Then with the info you learn from 1 and 2 look at the features of the routers in your price range.

I am not now nor will I ever tell someone what to specifically buy on the internet. If I knew you it'd be different. If you get the info and post it then post a few routers that you aren't sure which is best, that would be different. Pro and Con type stuff but to say "You pick for me" NOPE.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,615 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

There are 3 things you need to do:

1 - What the devices you have need to connect at the best speed for them?

2 - A site survey

3 - What router's features best match what you learn from steps 1 and 2

1 - how new are your devices? Are they 2.4 or 5 Ghz? G? N? AC? And yes you can list them here and we can look them up but I'd advise doing the research yourself.

2- this is easy on your phone get an app named wifi analyzer - look through the screens for 2.4 and 5 Ghz channel selection to see what the saturation is around you.

3 - Then with the info you learn from 1 and 2 look at the features of the routers in your price range.

I am not now nor will I ever tell someone what to specifically buy on the internet. If I knew you it'd be different. If you get the info and post it then post a few routers that you aren't sure which is best, that would be different. Pro and Con type stuff but to say "You pick for me" NOPE.

Excellent points

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users