Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Impossible To Figure Out

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sickfreak

sickfreak

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:06 AM

Holy cow I am hoping someone here can help me out for I am pulling my hair out one strand at a time.

I have a Sony Vaio All-In-One 3D touch screen computer [VPCL22SFX] that is having an issue and I am unable to figure out what exactly is going on. It does not lack in processing power or RAM which makes this even more difficult. This PC has worked perfectly since I bought it but now it seems there is something wrong and I can't figure it out. About 3 months ago it started slowing down at certain times and I have exhausted everything I know to help diagnose what the issue could be and I am coming up with nada. I only use this PC for accessing MS Office and internet surfing so I keep it very clean. When I go to YouTube the video and audio stutters and brings the PC down to a crawl. I will attempt to move the mouse at the same time and it also stutters or skips all over the place. When I try to copy data over from the PC to an external hard drive [or vice versa] the mouse exhibits the same behavior. I am on a wired connection and I am getting about 40 MBPS downloads and 4 MBPS uploads on AT&T Uverse, and I run speed tests all the time so I know the number is consistent. I have used Hiren's Boot CD to test the CPU, the RAM, the fans, the hard drive, the video card and the audio and it passes all the tests. I also used VAIO Care to test everything as well as Bluetooth, BD drive, etc. and it passed all those tests as well. I ran a check for spyware and malware...nothing was found. I went ahead and re-imaged it to see if that would fix it, problem still exists. Does anyone here have any ideas what could be going on? I am at a total loss and it's frustrating me to no end. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer me some help.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sickfreak

sickfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:11 AM

Here are the specs....

Product Highlights

• 2.2GHz Intel Core i7-2720QM Quad-Core
  • 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
  • 3TB 5400rpm Hard Drive
  • Blu-ray/CD/DVD Burner
  • nVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1GB GPU
  • ATSC/NTSC TV Tuner with Remote Control
  • 24" Multi-Touch Widescreen 3D LCD
  • Integrated Camera and Microphone
  • Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit)

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:16 AM

Take a look at Task Manager when it slows down.

Click on the Processes tab

Click on "Show processes from all users" button

Click on "View", the on "Select columns"

Select I/O Reads and I/O Other

Make the window larger so you can see all the columns.

Sort by each to find out what's taking up the most resources (click on the CPU, Memory, I/O Reads, and I/O Other column headers to sort each).

Give us the Process names for each column (while it's slowed down) - it's best to give the top 5 for each with approximate numbers.

At work we see this most often when the antivirus has become corrupted.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 sickfreak

sickfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

@usasma....thanks for your response, I really appreciate it!

As soon as I get home I will post it. I am using Kaspersky AV and I do know that the Netgear Geanie app seems to be at the top of the list of running processes when the internet is not up. When the internet is up, Firefox takes the top spot at the top of the list. I will be on later to post all the running apps. I will say that it slows down so much that even right clicking on a file can take upto 5 mintues to show the menu.

Thanks Again!

Edited by sickfreak, 02 June 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 03:38 PM

The last time I had this problem at work - it was corrupted Kaspersky.

Uninstall everything but the license information.

Download a fresh copy from here (presuming you're in the US):  http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/software-upgrades/

Here's the direct download link to Kaspersky AV 2015, US/English version:  http://usa.kaspersky.com/files/?file=kav&lang=en&pn=Downloads+%7C+Product+Updates+%7C+Kaspersky+Anti-Virus&track=pu_kav_usen

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

Genie runs all the time seeking connection not to worry.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 sickfreak

sickfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

First of all....thank you all for responding, I really appreciate the help! Here is what all is running when the problems are going....

Program                                                       CPU             Memory

firefox.exe *32                                                03             504,080

svchost.exe                                                    00             189,300

NETGEARGenie.exe *32                                00               89,740

VCAgent.exe                                                  00               70,544

avp.exe *32                                                     00               53,140

explorer.exe                                                    00               51,896

svchost.exe                                                    00                50,032

explorer.exe                                                   00                52,156

svchost.exe                                                   00                 47,328

SearchIndexer.exe                                        00                  43,724

svchost.exe                                                  00                  35,920

VCAdmin .exe                                               00                  34,704

WDBackupEngine.exe *32                            00                  31,836

PlexScriptHost.exe *32                                 00                   28,504

officeclicktorun                                             00                  27,136

dwm.exe                                                       01                  26,756

svchost.exe                                                  00                  26,372

CNQMSWCS.EXE *32                                  00                  25,836

plugin-container.exe *32                              00                   20,424

audiodg.exe                                                  01                  18,568

Plex Media Server.exe *32                            00                   16,296

Oasis2Service.exe *32                                 00                    16,156

svchost.exe                                                  00                    15,608

PlexDlnaServer.exe *32                               00                      15,652

VCPerfService.exe                                      00                       15,708

WDDriveService.exe *32                             00                      13,464

#8 sickfreak

sickfreak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:20 PM

This is sorting by the CPU

System Idle Process        95         24k

firefox.exe *32                  02        508,244k

NetgearGenie.exe *32      03         91,560k

wdbackupengine.exe        05         37,040k

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:36 AM

We'll need the stuff sorted by Memory,

We'll also need it sorted by I/O Reads

And sorted by I/O Other

On most systems the bottleneck is the hard drive (it's the slowest to get stuff from).

Next slowest is the memory, then comes the CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users