Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft explains what you値l lose by upgrading to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:49 AM

Firstly there are the software losses. Most of these will only affect a small number of users, but upgrading will mean saying goodbye to Windows Media Center, the card game Hearts, and Windows 7's desktop gadgets. Anyone in the habit of using floppy disks on Windows will also have to install new drivers, and Microsoft warns that watching DVDs will also require "separate playback software." Microsoft manager Gabriel Aul has said on Twitter that a DVD option for Windows 10 is coming "later this year," but early upgraders can always download VLC instead.

n addition to the software losses, there are also a number of limitations for some of Windows 10's most exciting features. Cortana will only be available in the US, UK, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain at launch, while Windows Hello (which offers support for various biometric passwords) will need an infrared camera for facial recognition, or a supported fingerprint reader. The Xbox Music and Xbox Video streaming apps will also be constrained by the usual, complex web of region-based licenses.

As for Cortana, what happened to Canada?

Article

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

That's weird, maybe Cortana isn't that good yet and they want to work on it a bit before proceeding to a global deployments. Or the way Cortana works could not be allowed by the CRTC (which have strict rules, that are often for the best).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:44 AM

FYI, Windows desktop gadgets have already been discontinued in Windows 7. I think Cortana was supposed to launch in Canada last fall but it may have been delayed. As for videos, I have Roku on my TV and that's where I tend to watch Youtube and Daily Motion these days. And Roku can be used to manage video files from your PC. As Smart TVs become more common, more folks will do that. I'd have to check to be sure but I think VLC already has a Roku app.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:45 AM

Scratch that I'm stupid.

Edited by Aura., 02 June 2015 - 10:45 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:47 AM

I use GOM (Media Player) as I it's easier to set the aspect ratio for HD movies.

Edited by orlbuckeye, 02 June 2015 - 11:47 AM.

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#6 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

With regard to Desktop Gadgets I have been using several Gadgets from the 8Gadget Pack for some time on Windows 8.1. I was concerned when I heard MS would not be bringing them back in W!0, as I find a number of them very useful.  I need not have worried, third party Windows Gadgets have returned with a vengeance for W10 (as well as W8).  Now instead of less than a couple of dozen, there are scores of them (over 900), old ones updated plus entirely new ones in the Gadgets Revived Gallery.

gadgetsrevived.com

desktop-gadgets-for-windows-8-windows-8-1-gallery

#7 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:37 PM

PS:  I intended to flag up the fact that there have in the past been some concerns (expressed by MS and others) about security issues with Gadgets.  The second link I provided has some information on this.  i suspect someone better informed than me might want to comment on this.

clayto

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

There's no second link in your previous post clayto. And I'm aware of a vulnerability that exists within widget that have network access.

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:38 AM

I use GOM (Media Player) as I it's easier to set the aspect ratio for HD movies.

GOM Player <-INSTALLS Toolbar (junkware)

Calendar Of Updates Installers Hall of Shame
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

The two links to which I was referring are

gadgetsrevived.com

desktop-gadgets-for-windows-8-windows-8-1-gallery

Perhaps the first one is not technically a link?  But if you paste it into the address bar, it does link to the Gadgets Revived site, with hundreds of Gadgets available,   However, the 'second link' I referred is the one starting with 'desktop-gadgets .....' which has some discussion of the security issues.

Given that these issues have been known for years I wonder why they have not been dealt with by now (or perhaps they have been?), by a  third party---- especially as they are now being promoted as Gadgets for Windows 10; but also because they been continued to be installed by users of W 8 / 8.1. Probably MSN could not be expected to do anything about this as they withdrew Gadgets from their OS.  I have seen it suggested that MSN preferred to develop the innovation of live Tiles instead.  If so  they are a very poor substitute for many of the Gadgets. Will live Tiles play a bigger role in W10?  If I understand it right they will function in the Desktop.

clayto

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 06:55 PM

I cannot find anything relevant related to your second article name on Google. We'll need a complete URL. Also MSN doesn't stand for Microsoft.

Edited by Aura., 08 June 2015 - 06:56 PM.

unite_blue.png

#12 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hi

This is the full url which I used to find the article.  I had removed the DuckDuckGo search engine part.  The article is I think the best I have found, with screenshots, and detail about 'integration' with Windows which I have not seen elsewhere. The security issues are dealt with in an accompanying discussion in response to the article. It is a pity that Gadgets Revived does not comment on this (or provide a forum for discussing Gadgets in general). There may be more on the security aspect but I have not found it yet, apart from MS's own original statement on its website.  Sorry, as you say, MS not MSN.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=desktop-gadgets-for-windows-8-windows-8-1-gallery&t=ffab

clayto

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:55 AM

This is a search string and the most relevant site it this one:

https://windowsforum.com/threads/desktop-gadgets-for-windows-8-windows-8-1-gallery.177879/

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users