Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will Windows 7 software work on Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:40 AM

Hi Guys

I've just received the Microsoft offer of a FREE upgrade of Windows 10. Although I've looked in the Windows 10 Q & A's my question doesn't appear to be there...

Will Windows 7 software work on Windows 10? Or to put it another way is Windows 10 'backwards compatible', accross the board?

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2015 - 10:44 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

Hi Graphicool1 :)

It'll be situationnal (depends on the programs you are using). Some of them already have a version for Windows 10, and some of them are for Windows Vista, but works on Windows 7 and 8/8.1 as well. Anyway, I expect an Upgrade Assistant to come out (like they did for Windows 8) to tell you which programs will work, and which ones won't. But since Windows 8/8.1 and Windows 10 are really similar, I expect pretty much every programs to work on them, for Windows 7 however, I couldn't tell. You could download the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant, then let it run the compatiblity test and see what it comes up with.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

Well 64 bit Windows 7 should work in Windows 10 64 bit,  and 32 bit Windows 7 may work in Windows 10 64 bit. 

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#4 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

Thanx AURA, I'll give the 'Update Assistant' a look, if it will run in Win7?

orlbuckeye, thank you for your contribution to my thread, but, no disrespect man, you didn't actually answer my question?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:49 AM

Graphicool, if you open the "Get Windows 10" app and click on the "menu" icon in the top left corner, you have the option to "Check your PC". Use that instead :) Just discovered it myself yesterday.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanx AURA, I'll give the 'Update Assistant' a look, if it will run in Win7?

orlbuckeye, thank you for your contribution to my thread, but, no disrespect man, you didn't actually answer my question?

But I gave a general answer because there are millions of apps that run in Windows 7 and there probably are some that the vendor will have to tweak to run in Windows 10.  That being said NO 16 bit programs will run in windows 7 64 or Win 10 64 bit. But last night i discovered in the Windows icon that Microsoft puts in your taskbar does analyze your system.  My report said Norton 360 WILL NOT run in Windows 10.  Then I go a message from Symantec saying they will be fixing Norton 360 soon. It also said VMplayer won't work but will work if reinstalled.

Most software that works in WIndows 7 will work in Windows 10 but there are millions of software packages so there you can find some that won't You asked a general question and wanted a specific answer. Also to add the older the software version the higher the odds it won't run (referring to the 32 and 64 bit in my first answer).

Edited by orlbuckeye, 03 June 2015 - 07:51 AM.

• 18.4" (1920 x1080) 

#7 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

AURA

I clicked on the "Get Windows 10 app" and in the slide open menu one of the items under the heading...

'Getting The Upgrade' -  is...

'Your PC is ready' - When I clicked on this it said...

'Your good to go, no issues were found during the scan' - it also shows...

Devices: No known issues found (ticked) 

Apps:     No known issues found (ticked)

So am I to assume from this that ALL my Win7 programmes will run in Win10? Or is it more a case of fingers crossed?

ORLBUCKEYE

I can see and understand your dilemma, so under the circumstances, for you, the answer you gave was the best as you saw it. I thank you for that. But AURA's answer was more like the one I was looking for.   

Edited by Graphicool1, 03 June 2015 - 07:57 AM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

It means that all your drivers and programs are compatible for the upgrade to Windows 10 :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:59 AM

Wow your lucky. The amount of testers and people that upgraded the Technical Preview as their  main system I expect MS has done a more thorough test on compatibility with older software then any upgrade ever.  

• 18.4" (1920 x1080) 

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

It's not only Microsoft's job to adjust the OS for software compatibility, it's also part of the job of the software developpers. If Microsoft needs to adjust an OS so it can run older software and this constantly, it'll be slowing the development of new software that works on new Windows systems.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Cheers guys,

If Mictosoft are to be believed, it would seem that I won't be jumping blindly into the chasm on a wing and a prayer. Instead I'll be sauntering, in a casual manner. However, somewhere at the back of my mind I can't help but feel a niggling doubt. How often, in the past have they said or at least hinted as much. So why should we be so ready to believe them this time?

I guess it's because after all is said and done it is free and aren't we suckers for free things. Even though in our heart of hearts we know that there's always going to be a price somewhere down the line.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:06 AM

What I'll do personally is to run the "Check your PC" test right before I install Windows 10. Just to be sure I'm still all good and that there will be no driver/program that I installed meanwhile that would cause an issue.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:09 AM

Are you going to get this upgrade?

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

I'm going to get it, yes. I'll install it as soon as it launches. I've upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 without any problems, and I never had a single issue with any Windows Updates. And my setup isn't your usual casual one, I have a lot of tweaks, unusual programs, etc. installed yet they never gave me a single issue, so I'm pretty confident with the upgrade :) If something goes South, all my important files are backed up already so I could just do a clean reinstallation.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

I've beta tested OS's since 95 and have always upgraded the first day.

• 18.4" (1920 x1080) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users