Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP PRO INSTALL OVER XP HOME

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 THAZIT

THAZIT

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

What to do? Have XP PRO on my hard drive. it's a disaster. i have another hard drive (100gb) HP OEM with XP HOME. Nothing on it I need.Tried to swap, but windows won't activate the OEM. SO-I would like to install XP PRO over, or in place of HOME. i have a legal PRO disk with legal key code. I also have a legal Microsoft "unlicensed software" disk with product key. .On it, it says  "DON'T LOSE THIS NUMBER!  YOU MUST USE IT EVERY TIME YOU INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE. My son got it when he was in school. 1. can I just install either copy over the HOME on the hard drive, and start from scratch? 2. What's the purpose of the disc that can be installed repeatedly, and will it activate with the product code, or the legal product key? It's my understanding from reading several tutorials, and forums that I could have both hard drives in my desktop- gateway thrasher,2gb ram, 2.44 intel, as "master/slave", which would allow me to cull the 3000+ photos into manageable folders for my kids before I croak. I'm an old fart with limited knowledge and recorces. trying to keep XP and Me kickin as long as possible. If i do get my old hard drive set up, is there any chance the problems-cpu at 100-crashes-new problem every day would bleed over if i scanned every folder as i worked on it. I cant get anything done cause it's so slow.  Have 3rd hard drive (65gb) that I can pop in, and it runs like a champ. Any advice except scrap them all would be greatly appreciated!
PS. If there is a spell check on here it eludes me :rolleyes:

Edited by Queen-Evie, 02 June 2015 - 08:00 AM.
edited to remove 2 random characters which added white space to the post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:12 AM

Okay, what your son got is not legal, don't use it;  illegal softare fakes genuineness by someone else's long over used key, so that key is not the same as the software you're installing.  That's why you have to use it every time, it's essentially identity theft.  Avoid it like the plague it is.

Your legal copy won't install over Home.  I know, because I have the same problem.  It USED to be able to install directly over Home, but after the updates are done to Home, you are blocked off from updating to Pro.  Porting Windows settings won't work either.

You have to reformat your Home drive, or better still if you can remove that drive and get a new blank replacement, do that.  Then install Pro clean.  I know, because I just did that last month on two of my laptops, removing the Win7 drives first.  If yours is a Dell computer, usually the drives are easy to remove and unplug.  If not Dell, if a laptop it should still be pretty easy to remove, but knowing what drive to replace it with, is harder.  If that's more than you want to do, then just reformat the drive, but you'll need a Linux stick to do it, running a Linux tool named 'GParted' (more on this below).

Or, go to someone you know who has another computer, and ask them to format the drive.  You must reformat it for XP Pro to be willing to install.

You can then go to MSFT for the Pro updates  (and download Belarc from the internet, a free tool telling you what you need to update, by a company who doesn't add crudware) -- but maybe hold off on updates until you see how your programs are working.  In my experience on my six(?) XP machines, the updates killed programs or hurt programs I needed on them.  So my last two installs do not have updates at all.  I don't use them on the internet except via a Linux stick (how to do that with ANY size stick, tricking Linux into thinking it's a hard drive, see the 10 steps here:  http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=197956 ).

Or, just buy a Linux stick in Amazon, here , and when it arrives, plug it into your turned-off computer. (Make sure your BIOS sequence setting is to look for USB first.)  Then turn on computer, and you'll actually be IN Linux Mint.

Mint's interface is most like XP, so operation will be familiar;  the Start Menu (lower left corner you click as in XP) should have 'GParted' in it already.  So look for it.  If not there, the menu will still have a program called 'Synaptic Package Manager' which is a comprehensive freeware 'store', so be online and then click on 'Synaptic'; after it (slowly, lol) loads, click on the magnifier glass (Find or Search) and type in 'GParted', right click on the resulting file(s) with that name and next select 'Mark for Installation'; next from Synaptic window's menu, click 'Apply' (big green check mark icon).  Then Synaptic will install GParted (like in 30 seconds, much faster than Windows).  When it's done, it will ask you if you want to quit, click on 'Yes'. Now you're back in Mint.

So now it's time to use, GParted.  It should now be listed in the alphabetical 'All Programs' menu (lower left screen corner, click on it just as in XP). If you don't see it right away, click on 'Quit' in the menu, and select 'Restart' (as in Windows, sometimes Linux programs don't refresh until reboot).  Once rebooted if need be, then you'll see and should click on, 'GParted'.

It loads up a weird-looking chart of the hard drives you have attached, which are the stick and hopefully only your Home XP drive.  The latter should be obvious, will likely be called 'sdb' but maybe 'sda', (I forget what that means, I'm new to Linux) -- but the dead giveaway, is that the drive will be formatted as NTFS.  Look at the right side of the window and you'll see a silver dropdown showing as '/dev/sda/' and (usually) that's the internal hard drive, so the colorful yellow-and-white thingy you see boxed onscreen, IS (well, should be) your XP home drive.  (I'm actually doing these steps in GParted as I type, to be more authentic, and this is what I see on my own XP machine, with a Linux stick in it.)

Right-click, (maybe you have to first select 'Unmount', then right click again) and click on 'Format to', look at the cascading menu for 'NTFS', click that, then in the menu, click on 'Edit', look for 'Apply all operations', click on that. 

What next happens, is that GParted will format your entire drive in NTFS.  Then click on the menu's 'GParted', look for 'Quit' and click on that.  To exit Mint, click on the lower left corner of the screen (which is like Start in XP), look for 'Quit', click on it, and select 'Shut down'.  After it's off, remove the stick.

Whew.  Go get lunch or take a break, and then turn on your machine.  Put the XP Pro DVD in it while it boots, and follow the prompts.  Takes maybe an hour to get XP installed initially.  Takes 2 days or more, to configure it to your liking, install programs, etc.

If I'm unclear, yell at me here or in vimeo.

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 09:56 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 09:31 AM

Which Hard Drive are your photos on?

Certainly if you have another sound drive (such as the 65GB one), there should be no reason why you could not do a clean installation of the XP Pro onto it, and then yes, whichever drive contains the photos could be added into the system as a slave to the system drive. If the Gateway has only one IDE port to connect drives to, and the CD/DVD drive is already on it as a slave, it would need to be temporarily disconnected to accept the second HDD in its place. If there's a second IDE port and you also had a second IDE data cable, the second drive could be added that way.

For just the purpose of organizing photos, there would be no need to do any updates for the Windows installation, it could be used immediately for that. If you wished to keep using it for some time for other purposes, especially if it was to connect to the internet, it would be vital to do all the security updates to stay as secure as is possible for XP now.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users