Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost memory leak issue. I'm unsure of as to why.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Coachgarrus

Coachgarrus

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:33 AM

Heyo! Hopefully this gets a view and some answers sometime soon, as I've been dealing with this issue for a few weeks now with no avail. My computer's task manager, when prompted to do so, displays multiple .exes under the same name -- something I understand is relatively normal. One of them, however, quickly begins to consume rapid amounts of memory after every restart, and it often results in severe issues completing even the most mundane of tasks. 

(Around ten minutes after a restart.)

NB8rTUq.png

I'm not sure what's causing this, and attempting to google-fu myself an answer has only resulted in more confusion. Does anyone know what might be causing this, and how I might go about fixing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 942 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

It's normal that one of those "SVCHOST" processes uses up to say 140 MBs of memory. In that regard, 160 MB is not that far "out of line". "Svchost" using A LOT OF memory (say > 140 MB) is a sign there's a problem with one of the Services in combination with some other software. And reports of those conflicts could/will show up in "Eventviewer".

Edited by Willy22, 02 June 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:19 AM

In addition to Willy22's excellent description/suggestion, I'd like to mention this:

Take a look at Task Manager:

Click on the Processes tab

Click on "Show processes from all users" button

Click on "View", the on "Select columns"

Select I/O Reads and I/O Other

Make the window larger so you can see all the columns.

Sort by each to find out what's taking up the most resources (click on the CPU, Memory, I/O Reads, and I/O Other column headers to sort each).

Give us the Process names for each column (while it's slowed down) - it's best to give the top 5 for each with approximate numbers.

At work we see this most often when the antivirus has become corrupted.

Edited by usasma, 02 June 2015 - 10:19 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Coachgarrus

Coachgarrus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 09:52 PM

Sorry about the late reply. It's taken a few days for this to get out of hand, again.

Here is the memory leaking process:

iQAG2Yu.png

And the processes it's linked to.

fRQeEdi.png

Hopefully this helps.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Sorry, but svchost stuff usually isn't real helpful.

In this case it may be suggestive of networking involvement - but that's a pretty broad range.

But, notice that the top Chrome process is 2½ times as large as most of the other Chrome processes.

See if you can figure out what it's doing (what page, what things are running inside of it, etc)

Maybe uninstall Chrome and then install a freshly downloaded copy?  Check all your add-ons to make sure that none are corrupted, consuming a lot of extra resources.

Skype and Origin are also fairly large.
You may want to try closing them to help rule them out.

Give svchost.exe time to settle down after each action.

Also, we'll need to see the top consumers in the CPU, I/O Reads, and I/O Other columns

Edited by usasma, 05 June 2015 - 07:31 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

FWIW:  How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users