Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive/ Xp Wont Install?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DemonGt

DemonGt

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:59 PM

i had a old 5400 maxtor that i just replaced with a 7200 WD, i installed the new drive and installed the xp disk and it installed some stuff then i hit enter to begin install but then it said it couldnt find a old version of windows on the drive blah blah so i exited setup and started over..but now when it gets to boot from cd it wont do anything? i thought i just selected the wrong option and id start over now it wont do anything but sit at the motherboards startup screen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

DemonGt - It sounds to me like you are using an upgrade install cd for installing Windows XP. This is why you get the part where it is trying to verify an operating system that is existing on your hard drive. For this operation you have to have the legal operating system disk for another Windows OS and the legal key code.

With out this you are dead in the water. Or you could go purchase a Windows install disk that will install from boot up.

Is the disk you are using a legal install disk from Microsoft or just a copy?

#3 DemonGt

DemonGt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:52 PM

yes, i have the full version...when i built my computer i oddviously needed the full version..but i wanted a newer faster hard drive so i bought the WD 7200 drive, i know when you use the disk you can do a upgrade with the full version also...along with a full reinstall or a recover..i think i may have just selected the wrong option but now i cant even get the install to auto start to select the correct option....im starting to think the drive my be DOA or something

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:03 PM

This may sound stupid but I had one that the drive select on the back side the shorting pin was no good. Try another one of thise or it might have slipped off. Also check when booting to see if CMOS finds it as a master on the primary cable. Even if it does thre is no guarrantee that the drive is good. Also if you still have the side cover off you might want to check the power connector I have a computer downstairs that the power connctor has a mind of its own and opens up. You should be a ble to hear the drive spin up.

Hope I have helped and keep us informed on how it is going.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:01 AM

Alot of times xp has a hard time booting from a straight format to xp, I had a similar problem. Try to install Windows 2000 or Windows ME and then upgrade to the XP, 98 se might also be able to work but I haven't tried it personally.

#6 DemonGt

DemonGt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:26 AM

i will try messing with the pin selector in back....i might try to boot up using my xp start up disk and see if i can some one format the drive

another problum is the full version of xp is the only OS i have other then some old Linux discs i bought years ago, no windows 2000 or anything

#7 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

You did not try to install linux on this hard drive did you? If you did and there would have been a format done this could casue a problem with this.

#8 DemonGt

DemonGt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:54 PM

no i didnt, i now have the new drive installed under XP as a extra hard drive ...i tryed to use a western digital program that would make the drive bootable and copy my old drive onto the new but it freezes up at like 3%, and when i insert the XP disk it just tells me that it cant find a old version of windows and to insert the old windows disk which i dont have one....not sure what to do now...

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:01 PM

Is the XP disk an upgrade vesion of XP? If it is the disk is looking for another version of Windows that is legal. It will do this if yoiu are chosing an upgrade option. Look for full installation. Actually is this a copy of a Windows XP Pro install disk?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

It sounds to me like you've paid for a full retail version of XP and got an upgrade version. I'd go back to the retailer and have them make it right.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 DemonGt

DemonGt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

it is a full version of XP home...and i used it to install XP on the current drive some time ago after building the computer..iv used it a few times to reinstall XP, the only options its giving me is to install XP and when i do that it looks for a old version of windows? or to recover but then it goes to a DOS screen and tells me it cant find C: and its a invalid path of some sort....

if the current drive is C:..and the new drive is F:, if i try instaling XP again will it give me a option as to which drive to install on?

#12 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:27 PM

Have you tried wiping out all the partitions and starting over?

Just saw the following in another thread, have you tried this:

Click Here!

Edited by Hawkeye4, 14 July 2006 - 01:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users