Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I WANT A MAC!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:28 PM

i just celebrated my 60th birthday last month and have come to the conclusion that a MAC is on my bucket list.I don't NEED it,probably can't AFFORD it,but i WANT it.! I don't have to have a brand new one,but I don't want an old one either.I am sure someone on this forum can help me make an informed decision? Desktop or laptop- it doesn't matter! Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Apache15

Apache15

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:29 AM

I made the switch to a Mac after graduating and haven't looked back. They are expensive, but they are easy to use. If you're looking to get one for a lower price you might look into refurbished models or older models (last time I checked the apple website, it was still possible to order the older MacBook pro).

And there are a few differences between the iMac (desktop version) and the MacBook (laptop version), the most obvious being the size of the computer. Is portability a must for you? If yes, go for the laptop. Are you going to be using the computer for general day to day tasks (email, browse the web, etc.) or are you going to be using graphic intensive programs? For graphic intensive things I would elect the iMac over the MacBook Pro. And lastly, are you wanting a screen larger than 17" or does something 13-17" work for you?

Glad to hear of your interest in purchasing a Mac!

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

I made the switch to a Mac after graduating and haven't looked back. They are expensive, but they are easy to use. If you're looking to get one for a lower price you might look into refurbished models or older models (last time I checked the apple website, it was still possible to order the older MacBook pro).

And there are a few differences between the iMac (desktop version) and the MacBook (laptop version), the most obvious being the size of the computer. Is portability a must for you? If yes, go for the laptop. Are you going to be using the computer for general day to day tasks (email, browse the web, etc.) or are you going to be using graphic intensive programs? For graphic intensive things I would elect the iMac over the MacBook Pro. And lastly, are you wanting a screen larger than 17" or does something 13-17" work for you?

Glad to hear of your interest in purchasing a Mac!

Apache- i have a really large 26" monitor - it's actually a TV that I am using for that purpose.Portability is not a big issue,I have a really nice Samsung laptop which suits my purposes for troubleshooting friends and clients computers.So I may just go with a refurbished iMAC even though I don't do a lot of video rendering.I do however-do a lot of music production which i am told by my fellow musicians that MAC is the way to go. I guess the only real consideration at this point is price. I will take a look at the Apple Store and some other places I know of and see what I can find!

#4 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:21 AM

Having your awesome 26" monitor, don't for get about the terrific option of owning an Apple Mac mini!

It's really easy to over-look and quite a powerful way to enjoy Apple's software!

Take a look: http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/mac-mini?afid=p238%7CsNMLKL6Ct-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_64489231207_&cid=aos-us-kwg-mac

Check out the spec's!

The highest $999.00 price point you can't beat!  :apple: (Adding in an Apple keyboard and mouse is affordable too)

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

That is a GREAT Idea! I think that will probably be the best option for me. Thanks for the heads up! Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users