Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cvos

cvos

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:08 PM

If I update from windows 7 to 10 will all of my files and programs still be there? Or will I have to reinstall? I do have most of my documents and all of my pictures backed up on an external drive, but would not like to lose some programs and internet favorites. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:50 AM

If you like the idea of trying out the next version of Windows before it is officially launched, Microsoft has made the Windows 10 Technical Preview available for everyone to use.

Some people install the preview build on their everyday computer but what they don’t understand is that this is not a finished product.

Remember, trying out an early beta build like this can be risky.

That's why i recommend that you don't install the preview version of Windows 10 on your primary home or business PC.

Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything.

Windows 10 available as free upgrade for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 devices. Windows 10 will be available starting July 29, 2015.

Since its an upgrade your files and programs will be there. However, I would recommend you to take a backup of all the files and programs to an external hard disk to be sure.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 09:21 AM

In addition to FreeBooter's excellent reply, I'd like to add my experiences installing Windows 10 on my everyday computer.

I have a Samsung NP780 laptop that came w/Win8

It had many, many problems installing Win8.1 - but it finally did about 5 months after it came out.

I upgraded to Win10 build 10060 (thereabouts) as my primary OS over a month or so ago.

Today my system updated to build 10130.

At first all was pretty good.  I had one program that wasn't working - but I didn't use it often, so I haven't messed with it.

All my data was still there and it seems that all my programs are also.

BEWARE - this is an upgrade install, and they are notoriously flakey.  I fully intend to do a clean install when Win10 is released (after backing up my data and downloading all the programs that I need).

EDIT:  If you use Control Panel a lot, be aware that it's continuing to be deprecated.  Settings is taking it's place.  For example, you can no longer access Windows Updates by typing "wuapp" (without the quotes) into the Run dialog.  And it's a pain to make shortcuts to it.

Recently my "SendTo" context menu has disappeared.  I've started to research fixes for this, but nothing has worked so far.

It's a pain, but I don't use that portion of the right click menu that much.

Now I'm having issues with the main context menu when posting online.

The major problem is that it won't always show the proper entries - but one of them is an older program that launches out of the context menu, so it could be the source of that problem.

My Start Menu isn't very cooperative when I try to customize it.  Again, it's not a major problem, so I don't mess with it.

I've got an icon in the System Tray for the Action Center - but it won't open anything (I think that it's not included in Win10).

The switchable graphics don't work for me (but that's OK as I had a problem with it before).  It's actually better now, but I haven't played any games recently.

I just went to see if I could launch a game, and it seems that Steam doesn't see the games that I had installed previously - so those will have to be reinstalled.

Darned Edge (Project Spartan) keeps hijacking my default browser each time that I get a new build.

In short, if you're uncertain, wait until 29 July.

If you're concerned about performance, don't do an upgrade - a clean install is the way to go.

If you would rather just save everything, then do an upgrade - but don't say I didn't warn against it!

Good luck!

Edited by usasma, 02 June 2015 - 09:24 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

If you want some kind of "proof", upgrades from Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 will allow you to keep your programs, personal files and Windows settings. See the article below:

http://www.intowindows.com/you-can-upgrade-to-windows-10-preview-without-losing-installed-programs/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,901 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:50 AM

Post #1, For any system upgrade (even those that are supposed to leave programs and personal files untouched) it is best to backup the personal files on an external device or in cloud storage and the installers for your programs (if you have the installers about) on another external drive. That way if something goes really wrong during the upgrade there won't be any risk of losing your files and you will have installer exe files for your programs safely on an external device from where they can be copied onto the computer and run again IF you lose any programs during the upgrade, or if the upgrade results in some kind of disaster which means you need to use recovery media. The upgrade might be supposed to be a simple process but in case of problems having a backup is always very wise.

Edited by rp88, 02 June 2015 - 10:51 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:17 AM

@usasma

I have been an Insider since day 1.

I have Windows 10 installed on a wide variety of hardware, (5 systems) all dual boot configurations with Vista Win 7 Win 8.1 in different flavors. 64 / 32 bit memory ranging from 1GB to 4GB.

On my everyday system it is a dual boot configuration with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. The hard drive has 4 partitions...
1. System Reserved
2. Windows 10 TP
3. Windows 7 HP
4. Shared

I experienced many of the same problems as stated by you, with the upgrade to Build 10130

Here is what I did and hopefully it will work for you should you decide to accept the challenge.

For safety sake I backed up my Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads, and Favorites.

I then went into Settings > Updaye & Security > Recovery.

Now use caution.

Under Reset this PC choose Get started.

At Choose an option I selected Remove Everything.

After a few moments (Getting things ready... This won't take long) I was presented with Your PC has more than one drive Do you want to remove all files from all drives?

I chose Only the drive where Windows is installed.

At the next prompt Do you want to clean the drives too?

I chose Remove files and clean the drive. There is a warning that this might take a few hours but will make it harder for someone to recover your removed files.

Let Windows do it's thing. It will take a while!

I went out and mowed / manicured my lawn 3/10 of an acre.

When the process finished,  my Windows 10 TP Build 10130 was like new again. I have expierenced none of the problems so far. This was last Saturday when i performed the Recovery.

IMO well worth the time and effort and I didn't have to wait for an ISO.

Hope this works for you!

Rock On :guitar: My Friend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users