Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP RAM CANT BE USED

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Black Collar

Black Collar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:58 PM

Can someone help? I have a RIPJAWS 8GB 1333MHZ single module stick when i put it in my board nothing comes up no matter what slot its in ( ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 ) but when i put in an old 2GB partiot 1033mhz i have the screen comes up. Now i have tried them in different situations the only time it works is when the 2GB is in first and windows is able to recognize i have 10.0GB RAM but it is saying 1.92 GB is usableAttached File  Screenshot (1).png   422.02KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:05 PM

I hope you kept your receipt, that 8GB stick might not be compatable with your motherboard, if Windows will not use that stick. Is there a way you can get a different manufacturer stick from your local computer store? -- to try it in your computer.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:16 PM

What is the model of this module?

Edited by dc3, 02 June 2015 - 02:17 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Black Collar

Black Collar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 08:16 PM

its 8GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 RipjawsX Series (9-9-9-24) Single module 8G x 1 model number f3-10666cl9d 98 8gbxl and it is supported by my board

Edited by Black Collar, 03 June 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 08:12 AM

Yes, that module is compatible with the ASUS motherboard.  But you have two different modules with different speeds.  What happens in this case is the faster module (the 1333MHz) will underclock to the slower module (the 1033MHz).  You have not posted any other specifications for the Patriot module, like the voltage.  The GSkill module's voltage is 1.5V, we don't know what the Patriot module is.  If they are not, this could be what is causing the problem.  If they are different go into the BIOS and set the voltage to that of the GSkill, this should resolve the problem of not working in that motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Black Collar

Black Collar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

i understand what u are saying but the main reason i have not included any info about the 2GB is because my focus is that im trying to get the 8gb to work on its own.My system doesnt even display anything once the 8gb module is in there i have tried in every slot and from what ive found out is that the only way it does boot up is when the 2gb is in a slot before the 8gb however when i change the voltage in the bios 1.6 or 1.7 then it is able to boot up with the 8gb is a slot before the 2gb but still doesnt boot up on its own

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 01:20 PM

The voltage for the GSkill module is 1.5V, set the BIOS for that.

If you don't answer my questions you make it difficult to help you.

Good luck.

#8 Black Collar

Black Collar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

ok sorry here are the default bios shots along with specfics hots with ram info and voltage info

Attached File  150606192047.BMP   2.25MB   3 downloadsAttached File  150606192054.BMP   2.25MB   2 downloadsAttached File  150606192200.BMP   2.25MB   1 downloadsAttached File  150606200954.BMP   2.25MB   2 downloads

Edited by Black Collar, 06 June 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:18 AM

This is the Patriot model number: PDC34G1600LLK

This is the spec sheet: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/specs/4GKIT_1600MHzLL.pdf

Voltage is 1.9 Volts.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 09:00 AM

This is the Patriot model number: PDC34G1600LLK

This is the spec sheet: http://www.patriotmemory.com/product/specs/4GKIT_1600MHzLL.pdf

Voltage is 1.9 Volts.

Bruce.

It doesn't matter.  They just want to get the GSkill module running properly.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Yes, that module is compatible with the ASUS motherboard.  But you have two different modules with different speeds.  What happens in this case is the faster module (the 1333MHz) will underclock to the slower module (the 1033MHz).  You have not posted any other specifications for the Patriot module, like the voltage.  The GSkill module's voltage is 1.5V, we don't know what the Patriot module is.  If they are not, this could be what is causing the problem.  If they are different go into the BIOS and set the voltage to that of the GSkill, this should resolve the problem of not working in that motherboard.

You asked a question which is quoted in bold text above.

I supplied you with an answer to your question.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#12 Black Collar

Black Collar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

I have already attempted to configure the bios to match that of the GSkill module and it doesnt work. I have attempted to configure the bios to that of the Partiot module the 8gb GSkill still doesnt work

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2015 - 06:07 PM

Okay, what we may be faced with here is a faulty G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10666 RipjawsX Series module.

How long ago was this module purchased? Was it bought brand new and was it still in a sealed package?

Any signs it was an RMA'd by a previous owner?

Bruce.

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:03 AM

How about we let them set the voltage in the BIOS and see if it works properly before we make any further assumptions.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 08 June 2015 - 10:27 AM

According to the manual the 8gb gskill module is not listed on the QVL sheet as a possible configuration.  It may be possible as 2x8GB modules but that is not listed either.  But I suspect the motherboard is looking for dual channel with the same timings and is not able to do that with only one stick.  This motherboard has a MEM OK display on it.  What does it say when you only put in one stick?  I suspect nothing because it wants dual channel.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 08 June 2015 - 10:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users