Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to separate multiple HD that are in one volume.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joeg85

joeg85

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:57 PM

I have 4 hard drives that I joined into one volume that I keep my movies/pics/music ect. on. I have purchased a new hard drive and need to remove one of the smaller ones, how can I remove the hard drive from the volume? Also will I lose any data on that drive?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:10 PM

Yes, you could lose data, please boot your backup DVD or USB stick and make two full image backups of your data partition before doing anything. If your OS and data is within one partition, oh well, make the two images anyway. Later, going forward, I rather you create 2 partitions, one for OS, one for data. It makes any restore of OS much less "eventful," 'cause your data will not be a part of that OS restore.

Edited by RolandJS, 02 June 2015 - 06:22 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:21 PM

I'm curious as to what you did...to create one volume from several different hard drives.

Louis

#4 joeg85

joeg85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

My OS is on its own hard drive so I dont have to worry about screwing up that. I'm using this computer as a home media server and it's easier to manage all the files if it's in one volume than multiple HDs. What steps do I need to do in window's to remove the HD from that volume?

#5 joeg85

joeg85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

I created it by, right click on my computer, manage, manage hard drives, then merging them just dont know how to un-merge them lol

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:37 PM

If you created a spanned volume using multiple hard drives you cannot break the spanned volume without losing data. Spanning Volumes can be a big problem because if one of those drives go bad, you lose the data on all the others. I would back up your data, break the spanned volumes, make the disks basic instead of dynamic and use the drives separately instead of spanned. 

That being said see this article. It will let you remove a drive but I am not sure if you can recreate the spanned volume. If you decide to go this route you should still back up all your data as things can go bad. 

See this thread also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users