Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove the Get Windows 10 icon from the icon tray

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#31 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

Scoop, no problem, glad that you got it working :) I also use a special toolkit that keeps all my Sysinternal Suite tools up to date and created an environment variable to call them easily, works like a charm :)

That's a good idea :).  I think I have a script around somewhere that may do that but I haven't tested it out yet.  I think it looks at a user's Sysinternals Folder and checks the suite tools and updates those that have new updates available.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

There goes Dragonlady :) Edited the OP and added your method (corrected a few spelling mistakes along the way to make it easier to read). Hope it's good like that!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#33 bernd

bernd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for your help with getting rid of the Windows 10 Nagware!!  I downloaded, installed the "Auto-Run manager" suite and entered "GWX.exe into the filter/search.  I had 5 GWX entries and could NOT UNcheck 3 of them.  BUT I highlighted them instead and KILLED the processes for all of them--NOW the GWX.exe (Get Windows 10) is GONE !!

Thanks to your help!   THANK YOU MUCH !!  NO MORE NAGWARE ! 

#34 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

No problem bernd, I'm glad that I could be of help :) I'll add another method tonight (as suggested by a friend on another forum) to simply "hide" the icon from the main icon tray, and not remove it. I'll be sure to write the distinction between the two.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#35 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:27 PM

Miguel, do you have a folder called GWX in C:\windows\system32.

Yes i do. What should i do to remove it?

#36 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

No, don't. This is where the executables are located. What files/folders do you see inside that folder? Also, do you see an executable called GWX.exe inside?

unite_blue.png

#37 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:41 PM

Luckily i know not to mess with stuff i know zero about lol so i haven't touched it. This is what is inside the folder http://www.imagebam.com/image/8114e4413272649

#38 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:46 PM

Alright that's good. All the files are there. All you have to do is to double click on GWX to launch the icon and double click on the icon to launch the "Get Windows 10" app. And if you want to remove it from the start-up all together, simply follow one of the method listed in the OP :)

unite_blue.png

#39 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

For some reason it still won't show up when i follow all the steps from the first post. It's really strange, and it's running as well in my system tray.

#40 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:57 PM

Are you sure that you unchecked "Hide Microsoft entries" in Autoruns?

unite_blue.png

#41 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yep i did, yet nothing appears lol

#42 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

Did you download the latest version of Autoruns? If you want, you can save your Autoruns file (in .arn) and send me it, I'll give it a look.

unite_blue.png

#43 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

I'll adapt the method for Windows 7 if needed (since its the only other OS that will get it) and I have a VM with Windows 7 English in it so :)

Option 2 using task scheduler

In windows 8.1 press c+the windows key to open he charm menu bar.

Click search and type in Task scheduler.

In task scheduler click the microsoft folder then windows, setup and select the gwxtray name.

On the right hand side right clcik ont the followiung entries and select disable:
gwxlaunchtrayprocess
refreshgwxconfig

close out of task scheduler and restart.

Hi there,

If someone gets the chance can they please put up how to do this via the Win7 Task Scheduler? The W8 TS version is different. I basically found out how to do it only by being patient & persistent. Probably stumbled on it by accident.

FWIW, the fix worked. I just haven't the foggiest idea how to do it (again).

Thanks,

=SubMariner=

#44 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:38 AM

I'll do it for Windows 7 tonight. I worked on my VM yesterday but I was taken by something else so I didn't have the time to finish. I'll add workaround for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 :)

unite_blue.png

#45 SubMariner

SubMariner

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

I'll do it for Windows 7 tonight. I worked on my VM yesterday but I was taken by something else so I didn't have the time to finish. I'll add workaround for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 :)

Merci!

A bientot,

Edited by SubMariner, 03 June 2015 - 09:55 AM.

=SubMariner=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users