Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove the Get Windows 10 icon from the icon tray

• Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

So a lot of people are complaining about the Windows 10 icon that shows in your icon tray after the KB3035583, which allows you to reserve your Windows 10 copy right away. Even thought you reserve it, it'll stay there. In order to remove it, you simply have to remove it from the start-up (and it's in the Task Scheduler). To do this, follow the instructions below.

Edit: Added two other methods, one of which (Method 3) only hides it in the extended icon tray. Only Method 1 and Method 2 will prevent it from launching.

Method 1 - Using Autoruns
  • Download Autoruns.zip from the Sysinternals Suite webpage;
  • Extract the content of the Autoruns.zip folder where you want, then go in the folder, right-click on Autoruns.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • Accept the EULA on opening, then wait for all the entries to load;
  • Click on Options and uncheck Hide Microsoft Entries, then wait for Autoruns to load the additional entries;

bEsRK1G.png
  • In the Filter zone, enter gwx;
  • Entrie related to GWX (Get Windows 10) will appear. Uncheck:
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\launchtrayprocess
    • \Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig
    kkZOOPd.png
  • Restart your computer, and you're done;
To enable it, simply check these entries back.

Method 2 - Using Task Scheduler (credits to Dragonlady24 for the method and instructions)

Original post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578100/remove-the-get-windows-10-icon-from-the-icon-tray/page-2#entry3723214

The procedure has been modified to be more comprehensible and include instructions for both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
  • In Windows 7, click on the Start Menu, enter Task Scheduler then click on it;
  • In Windows 8.1 press on the Win key + S (or Win key + C keys and click on Search) keys to open the Search interface, enter Task Scheduler and click on it;
  • Navigate to the following folder in the left pane: Task Scheduler Library\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx (you can list the content of the folders by clicking on the little arrow on their left);
  • From there, right-click on each of the task below and select Disable;
    • gwxlaunchtrayprocess;
    • refreshgwxconfig;
  • Close the Task Scheduler and restart your computer;
To re-enable it, simply right-click on these tasks and select Enable instead.

Method 3 - Hide the "Get Windows 10" app icon

This method will only hide the "Get Windows 10" app icon from the visible icon tray and move it to the extended one. It will not remove it like the two methods above.
  • Click on the small upward arrow on the left side of your icon and tray and click on Customize;
  • Look for the GWX - Get Windows 10 icon, and in its drop down list, choose Hide icon and notifications;
  • Once done, simply click on Ok and you'll be done;

Edited by computerxpds, 03 June 2015 - 07:13 PM.
Edited to add latest additions by user

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

Oh, is this not a service any more then? When KB3035583 first came out it installed a service called GWX, has this GWX service disappeared today and been replaced by these scheduled tasks? Would other scheduled task managing programs let you disable this: for example windows' task scheduler or CCleaner(startups section, scheduled tasks tab, maybe tick "advanced")?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:20 PM

Or just kill the process called "gwx.exe". I know one program that's able to do that automatically: the "paid for" version of PcWinTech's Cleanmem.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

There must have been Updates overnight here .........

If you got this prompt (it appears as a Start button icon in the notification area on your taskbar) and want to get rid of it, this is the update you’ll want to uninstall. Alternatively, if you didn’t get a prompt but want to reserve and install your free Windows 10 upgrade, make sure you have this update installed.

Full Story

I only just noticed that I have 2 Start Buttons (one at each end)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

I'm sure they would rp. I can test them once I get home tonight. And Willy, this solution is far easier than killing the process on every boot if you ask me. The Get Windows 10 icon started appearing yesterday noknojon yes.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Well i can't even find GWX, not sure what i am doing wrong lol

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

I mention the service because I know that when news of the existence and purpose of KB3035583 first came out a while ago it was said that one of it's actions was to install a service called GWX. I had guesssed that that service, if it is there, maybe it has disappeared now the prompts have appeared, might be somehow related to this.

I also mention this because I know that when a process is run from a service the process will restart as soon as you terminate it in task manager. For some processes which originate from services you find that they automatically start running again when you kill them, because the service tries restarting when you kill the task. I have had experiences (with totally different tasks and services from the ones related to windows 10) with killing a task in task manager then finding it restarting seconds later because it was controlled by a service, then if I looked at a CCleaner log afterwards I would see something like "The service EXmapleService terminated unexpectedly, trying restart of this service aftr 1000milliseconds" which would show how the service started the process again each time I killed the process, but if I disabled the service then the process wouldn't load at log-on and it wouldn't have any of this restaarting after termination stuff.

I just mention this because for some processes controlled by a service killing the process isn't enough, the service must be disabled too. I don't know the specifics of this prompt but I would suggest looking at the services tab in task manager and seeing if GWX (it should be listed because kb3035583 is said to have installed it) is running or stopped, and then seeing what stopping it does? The button might disappear, and then if you went and disbaled the service you might not get the process or service starting at startup. Just a thought.

I don't have this running, because I never let KB3035583 be installed on either of my machines in the first place, so I am speculating here, but my speculations might provide helpful information for some people as hints of to where to look to understand what is going on.

Edited by rp88, 01 June 2015 - 05:52 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

- "GWX.exe" is located in that infamous "Winsxs" folder according to "Everything" (Voidtools).

- @Aura: I have the "paid for" Cleanmem version. So, I can & will use it. I also like to be reminded of the availability of Win 10. But I won't install it right away. How many bugs are still in Win 10 ? Still like Win 7 too much.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:45 PM

Who knew first ??

I think something went wrong with my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by exile360 at the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware forum
He may have known sooner than we did not ??

I was not signed in, so it should be an open picture..

#10 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:04 PM

So a lot of people are complaining about the Windows 10 icon that shows in your icon tray after the KB3035583, which allows you to reserve your Windows 10 copy right away. Even thought you reserve it, it'll stay there. In order to remove it, you simply have to remove it from the start-up (and it's in the Task Scheduler). To do this, follow the instructions below.

Followed your instructions, no more icon on my start bar tray.

Thanks Aura 

#11 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

wapld5.jpg

Aura.

15o87wj.jpg for the Autoruns guide.  I had an earlier version installed (Autoruns) which didn't have the new "Filter" field on the toolbar so I used the old <ctrl>f  find on page method to locate the GWX entries.  The updated Autoruns version is nice.

Somehow I missed that KB3035583 on my Toshiba Laptop which got installed on 05/20.  I could have sworn I unchecked that one but I've seen some WU's get re-checked by themselves recently on my PC's.

I kept KB3035583 installed for now on the Laptop since the GWX startup and service is disabled now.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:50 PM

Miguel, do you have a folder called GWX in C:\windows\system32.

Willy, no it's not. The GWX.exe that is launched is from C:\windows\system32\GWX. Try it yourself.

noknojon, irrelevant to this thread.

Vecchio, no problem, it's my pleasure.

Scoop, no problem, glad that you got it working :) I also use a special toolkit that keeps all my Sysinternal Suite tools up to date and created an environment variable to call them easily, works like a charm :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:06 PM

One other way to get rid of it. click on the taskbar arrow and select customize a menu will pop up click the drop down and select hide icon and notifications. It is now gone from view.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

This is what I was recommending to people at first, but they were complaining to still see it in the extended icon tray view, so I had to mess around and find this :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

I don't care honestly. Its not on the task bar anymore and thats all that matters to me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users