Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from 8.1

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

Maybe it's a little early to ask these questions but here goes.I signed up for the upgrade through the icon in the tray,so much for that.When I install 10 will I have a choice to create a separate partition or will it install over 8.1.I ask this because I am curious if I can dual boot.The other question is installing10

won't do anything to the recovery partition will it.Is it save to assume I can recover8.1 and reinstall

again,thank-you.

Edited by Plumber, 01 June 2015 - 03:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

It may be possible to create a dual boot OS if Microsoft lets you download a full iso but I think the upgrade will be through the Store. After the install, I am not sure how Microsoft will be handling the activation of the previous version. Will they lock out the previous OS or not? I think it would be best to create a full disk image using a program like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. Both allow you to create a bootable disk in order to restore the disk image. Just make sure the disk you create is bootable in Windows 8. You may have to disable SecureBoot and possibly Fastboot in order for the disk to boot.

In fact, I believe anybody who intends on upgrading to Windows 10 should create a full disk image first.

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the quick response.Sounds like if they lockout the previous version,my recovery drive won't be worth a crap.Doesn't sound right does it.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

Yea, I know. I hope somebody at BC could confirm if the previous OS would be locked out once Windows 10 is installed.

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:01 PM

I can't imagine MS would do that.That would render every computer with a recovery partition useless.

#6 Kikig04

Kikig04

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hi Plumber, there's a great article on MSN Tech today with some questions answered re: Win 10 upgrade- They say you can revert back to your earlier OS...

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,918 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

That is exactly what happened to people who upgraded from 8 to 8.1. The refresh and reset options were rendered useless. Fortunately Microsoft gives a website to download the Windows 8.1 iso.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1183043-caution-you-may-lose-resetrefresh-if-you-upgrade-to-windows-81/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users