Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switching to Linux from 8.1

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Y-NO

Y-NO

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

I've never used Linux and am desperately trying to rid my laptop of MS 8.1 and desensitize my touch pad. I have been a long time Apple user, bought this Asus because of price and ratings. Unable to block a lot of the pop-up advertizing and the touch pad is hyper-sensitive and I have thought of doing a 15' drop test or aerodynamic test several times. Wanting to learn Linux for a long time as other friends and my son use it. Would like it to be the default OS on my new laptop. Never had these issues on my MacBook Pro. Looking for the most usable OS to install and use. Presently I am mostly surfing and using social media and some photography.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:22 PM

The most popular distros are Ubuntu and Linux Mint. For your computer I would recommend the Mint Cimmaron version if choosing Mint. You can burn the iso's as live DVD's so you can try them out without installing. This would let you know if they recognize all your hardware. Depending on your printer, there may be an issue finding linux drivers for it. You would need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI and possibly Fastboot/Quickboot in order to for the distro to boot from the DVD. You can also use Rufus with the downloaded iso to create a bootable USB flash drive. I would recommend you use the long term release of each distro. For Photograph editing there is Gimp.

Ubuntu video

Linux Mint video

You do have the option to update to Windows 10. That should be much better than 8.1. It will be available July 29. You may want to hold off till then. Update to Windows 10 and see how you like it.

#3 Y-NO

Y-NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

Thanks, but still looking for a new trackpad driver before this laptop goes sailling over the balconey. Overly sensitive is an understatment.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

What is the model number of the Asus? If you have a Synaptics touchpad take a look here on adjusting sensitivity. It's a Toshiba support site but you should have the same settings if a Synaptics.

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

Regarding the touchpad, have you thought of buying a USB mouse, I don't know about others but I can't use a laptop without a plug in mouse. When it comes to blocking adverts, try NoScript and adblockplus, both are firefox extensons and will work together happily. They should work within firefox whichever operating system you use. Firefox can run on linux and on windows.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Y-NO

Y-NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

No room for a mouse where I usually use my laptop, its been suggested many times. I know there are other drivers out there from reading other blogs, but I'm unsure what to use to replace this one. I'll look up those add blockers as I am curently using FireFox because Explorer was crashing too much.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

The links for those ad blockers (one of them is a script blocker, it's primary purpose isn't blocking adverts but it does it as a side effect of the script blocking security it provides) are below.

https://noscript.net/

Note that after installing noscript it might take a few days for it to "learn" what you like (by you allowing or untrusting various domains in it's options when you visit pages). When you need to watch videos or use certain functions on certain sites you have to allow the domains which the videos are coming from and often allow a few of the other things as well. But if you don't allow advert sites with it, and you make sure to only allow trustworthy sites then it will secure your browsing and block adverts very effectively. When you visit a page and noscript blocks certain functions of that page which you want you have to go through noscript's list of blocked domains and objects on that page until things work well, you shouldn't need to do this often in future as noscript will remember the sites you allow (unless you choose only to temporarily allow). So noscript means you need to make a few extra clicks when you first visit some sites. Basic content on pages will work without you needing to allow anything, so allow the sites you trust, when you're generally browsing you should be able to leave most things blocked and untrust advertising domains.

https://adblockplus.org/

Note that after installing adblockplus you should probably go to it's icon in the top right corner of firefox, click on the "filter preferences" option in the drop down box and then untick "allow some non-intrusive advertising".

Edited by rp88, 01 June 2015 - 06:33 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

Y-NO, there should be settings for the mouse sensitivity, even in windows LOL.  There are so many mouse settings in my linux install I don't know what to do with them all.  I don't think a driver change would  be the issue for the most part.  I do think you should get some linux on your pc if your HDD is big enough.  Just remember to get some good backups done first.

The first and best thing imo is to learn Speccy, to get all your pc specs posted so that the guru's can help you better.  Here is a little tutorial that cat1092 posted that may be of help.  Then we will all know what you are working with and what it will support.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563290/best-drop-in-linux-alternative-to-xp-for-old-hardware/page-10#entry3722303

Here is the direct link if you just want to go for it: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Don't know if upgrading to W10 would affect your linux install, but if so, then backup that also, separately.  Then, if you have an issue you can re-install linux and drop that linux backup in so as not to loose all your work building your OS.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 Y-NO

Y-NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

JohnC_21, I have a X555L model Asus with an Asus trackpad and it has no option to change the sensitivity. There are only general, pointer, pointer options and hardware. As I have read on other blogs, they reverted to an earlier version of the driver, I think windows 7, but I'm not sure how to go about the download and install.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:21 PM

Are we talking Touch pad sensitivity in Linux or Windows?

In Ubuntu based distros.

SynapticsTouchpad - Official Ubuntu Documentation

Edited by NickAu, 01 June 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,603 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

JohnC_21, I have a X555L model Asus with an Asus trackpad and it has no option to change the sensitivity. There are only general, pointer, pointer options and hardware. As I have read on other blogs, they reverted to an earlier version of the driver, I think windows 7, but I'm not sure how to go about the download and install.

Did you look at the link in post #4?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 Y-NO

Y-NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:05 PM

Yes I did, that is what I was replying to. The trackpad is my most urgent issue, and I do want to get away from MS.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:15 PM

Did you look at the link in post #4?

Post #4 Is instructions for doing it in Windows, How is that any help on Linux?

If you look at post #10 it tells you how to fix it in Buntu based distros.

Windows based issues should be posted in the Microsoft Windows Support section.

#14 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:49 AM

I know this might sound silly- but there are what is called a mini-mouse designed just for laptops.I have seen them at Frys Electronics.They are pretty small- logitech makes one for about 20 bucks.

Edited by paul88ks, 02 June 2015 - 12:53 AM.

#15 Y-NO

Y-NO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:17 AM

I think I just resolved the touchpad issue by turning off the 'tap' feature in 'Smart Gesture'. No more unwanted popup menus or unwanted pages. and yes I did download scriptblocker and addblocker, they seem to be working good to. Thank you all for your assistance. Now to work on Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users