Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 k1117h3n0153

k1117h3n0153

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

I recently messed something up on my mother's laptop, and it now will not connect to the wifi. Thing is, she has the router setup so that that laptop controls the wifi in the house. Because i am the reason it is doing this, she won't let me anywhere near it so i can't attempt to run the repairs i think would fix the issue. My laptop connects fine, and so does my iPod. It is only hers. Back when we got the wifi, she set it all up on her laptop, and she insists the wifi is being controlled by her laptop, though i've never heard this was possible. Would factory resetting the laptop fix the issue? What about factory restoring the router? I need a fix as soon as possible, since my mother is very cross.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:37 PM

The modem/router controls hard-wire and wireless.  Your mom probably has bookmarked the router settings pages; and has the necessary passwords for router wireless changes, router this, router that.  Exactly what did you mess up technologically on mom's computer?  Can you reassure her that you will not repeat your technological mistake? 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 TheSteeZ

TheSteeZ

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

We need more detailed explanation on "cannot connect to wifi." Is the computer detecting wireless connections at all? If not, it is most certainly a driver issue or the drivers could be accidentally disabled. Now if it is detecting your wifi, what is the error message given when trying to connect? Screens shots are helpful if possible.

-Steve

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

accessing the router is done via a browser by typing in the default gateway(ipconfig at a cmd prompt). You need a username and password but unless it was changed it's the defaults. But if she won't let you touch her laptop, I'm not sure what you can do.

EDIT - What did you do to her laptop to begin with? or What was the issue that you tried to fix?

Edited by CaveDweller2, 01 June 2015 - 05:44 PM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users