Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mvbigandy

mvbigandy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:48 PM

when i try to backup my dvds or play some of my computer games my computer will suddelny turn off and it will make a weird beeping noise that repeats unitl i unplug it from the outlet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

What OS (Win XP/2000, etc) are you using? What type of anti-virus are you using and when was the last time you ran a scan? Have you performed any anti-spyware scans?

If not, start here:

If your running Win XP/2000, download and scan with Ewido Anti-Spyware v4.0
Print out the Ewido Install and Scan Instructions.

Download and scan with Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. Setup & Configure as shown here.
Download and scan with Spybot S&D 1.4. Setup & Configure as shown here.
[DO NOT choose the option to install TeaTimer]
Note: If you encounter any error messages while downloading the updates, manually download them from here.
Download and scan with MS Malicious Software Removal Tool.

If not viral related, it could be an overheating problem caused by a failed processor fan, bad ram, a failing power supply, etc. Beeping noises after startup could be an indication of high temperatures. When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Make sure the fans are working and the heat sink on the processor is not blocked with dust or debris. Remove the CPU's cooling unit, remove any dust with a can of compressed air. You can also remove the cards, RAM modules, clean and reseat them.

When a computer is first turned on, or rebooted, its BIOS performs a power-on self test (POST) to test the system's hardware, checking to make sure that all of the system's hardware components are working properly and that it meets the necessary system requirements before booting up. If BIOS detects an error and fails the POST, the computer returns a pattern of beeps indicating what is causing the problem.

Beep codes can be in several different patterns, depending on the BIOS that you are using. Some BIOSes use simple beep codes in a pattern of varying numbers of short beeps, while others may mix short and long beeps. The exact meaning of the beep codes depends on the type and version of BIOS that you have. The three most popular types of BIOS are those made by Award, American Megatrends (AMI) and Phoenix.

In order to interpret the beep code pattern you are receiving we need to know exactly what version of BIOS your computer has. The easiest way to do this is to download and install the Belarc Advisor from here. After installed, run the Advisor and it will produce a report with the version of BIOS on your computer. Then you can look up the appropriate codes for the manufacturer at BIOS Central or computerhope.com

Download and run Motherboard Monitor 5. If Motherboard Monitor's seems to be reporting high temperatures for your CPU check to see what your max CPU temp is from here.

You can try Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis - The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests.

Also see Memtest86+: http://www.memtest.org/ and http://www.memtest86.com/
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users