Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove Windows 10 install icon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 debodun

debodun

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:09 PM

Today I had a new icon in my taskbar. It wa a prompt to install Windows 10. At this time, I am not interested in installing Windows 10. How can I permanently deleet this ucon prompt?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:40 PM

See http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/microsoft-starts-prompting-windows-7-and-windows-8-users-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/ , nothing to fret over, IMO.

Louis

#3 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:45 PM

But it doesn't tell how to permenently delete the taskBar icon, that I can see.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

This icon has been pushed by KB3035583. Simply uninstall the update to remove it. See this thread for more information:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578012/windows-10-being-pushed-out-to-windows-7-and-windows-81-users/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Uninstalling that update won't delete anything else important, will it? I checked the Action Center and that update was installed on my system on May 15th. Why am I only seening teh Windows 10 install icon in teh taskbar now (June 1)? What is the procedure to delete that update?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

To uninstall a update, follow the instructions below.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

And no, it won't remove anything important, only things related to Windows 10 (like the GWX folder).

Edited by Aura., 01 June 2015 - 01:21 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:15 AM

I did the delete of KB3035583, but now I am getting the nag icon to install it again. How do I stop that?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:17 AM

You mean, in the Windows Update? Simply right-click on it and select "Hide Update".

unite_blue.png

#9 debodun

debodun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:21 AM

Okay, I found this info in case anyone else asks:

Open Action Center, uncheck “Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates”. This will make sure the update will be listed under the “Optional” updates and no longer automatically install.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,539 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

Ah you were talking about this. Yes, I always uncheck it. I don't mind all the Important Updates to be pushed and installed right away, but I want to control my optional ones, since I don't want to install any drivers via WU.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users