Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get Windows 10 now in Systray

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

Then it prompts to "Reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 now."

What are they doing this for?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Please see the following thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578012/windows-10-being-pushed-out-to-windows-7-and-windows-81-users/

They are pushing out the reservation process for Windows 10, and it'll be used to upgrade your current version (7 or 8.1) when the time comes, or after if you wish.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:34 AM

One question,it says they will upgrade to the edition that you have.Mine just says Windows8.1 core edition.Can someone tell me what that is.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:36 AM

Windows 8.1 "core" edition is the standard Windows 8.1, so you'll upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Thank-you and I'm screwed on the updates.Says home users will have no control over them.They'll be installed automatically.

#6 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:41 AM

Oh, now I get it...you're committed to it once you do this.

I pledge allegiance to  the Window and to the monopoly for which it stands...wait a minute...I dunno :-()

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:43 AM

That's right, Windows 10 Home users won't be able to control the Windows Updates, only starting at Windows 10 Professional will you be able to do that.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

Post #5:

A good reason not to "upgrade" to windows 10.

Regarding upgrades:
windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users should probably be setting their windows update settings to "check automatically but ask be whether i want to download and install", this way they shouldn't get caught off guard by any follow-ups to KB3035583 and forcibly upgraded to 10. If a forcible upgrade comes out at some point, like ms has been attempting to do with the 8 to 8.1 transition.

EDIT: Just as a note KB3035583 has done this stuff right now, but future actions involving upgrades to 10 might involve other updates or might be done with further things involving KB3035583. KB3035583 might someday try to cause forced updgrades, or it might be another update entirely doing this, or it might not happen. Follow-ups to KB3035583 would be like the follow ups (KB2973544 and KB3008273) which came after KB2871389 in the 8 to 8.1 transition.

The 8 to 8.1 transition: KB2871389 came first, then KB2973544 and KB3008273 made it forcible for users who had accepted KB2871389.

The 8.1 to 10 transition: KB3035583 comes first, who knows whether it will have nasty follow-ups or whether it will perform further actions by itself.

Edited by rp88, 01 June 2015 - 05:26 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

That's right, Windows 10 Home users won't be able to control the Windows Updates, only starting at Windows 10 Professional will you be able to do that.

Aura

My OS is Windows 7 Home Premium, I guess I won't be able to control Windows Updates. What are the pro and cons of that, should I be worried about?

My system is 5 year old and if I understand correctly (from some links provided by a forum member) some component may not be supported by 10. 

VS

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 01 June 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

You're right Vecchio. Since you have Windows 7 Home Premium, you'll be upgraded to Windows 10 which doesn't allow the management of the Windows Updates. The pros is that you don't have to worry about installing them or finding the time to install them since they'll install automatically all the time, which means that your OS will always be up-to-date, which is a good thing, mostly part of basic security measures on a computer. The consequence is that if Microsoft pushes a buggy update or an update for a feature you wouldn't want (but you could still live with), then you won't be able to remove it, opt-it out, etc. Trying to find a little picture for you.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:55 PM

The consequence is that if Microsoft pushes a buggy update or an update for a feature you wouldn't want (but you could still live with), then you won't be able to remove it, opt-it out, etc. 

:hello: 

This is worrying to me. A buggy update could potentially leaving me without the use of my computer for a while. I run my business through it and delays could be costly.

I may have to stick to 7 until upgrading my system all together.

VS

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:57 PM

I think that Microsoft will be more careful in the future now before pushing such updates. We'll have to wait and see.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

Yes, also (as you suggest in a previous post) it make sense to wait until the very end to upgrade.

Post #5:

A good reason not to "upgrade" to windows 10.

Regarding upgrades:
windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users should probably be setting their windows update settings to "check automatically but ask be whether i want to download and install", this way they shouldn't get caught off guard by anything like KB3035583 and forcibly upgraded to 10. If a forcible upgrade comes out at some point, like ms has been attempting to do with the 8 to 8.1 transition.

Thanks for the tip, I was just wondering what would happen next after I booked for the upgrade.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

Rp is missing the point. This update doesn't force a Windows 10 upgrade but no matter how many time we say so, a lot of people still dont get it. You dont have to upgrade to Windows 10 with this update.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#15 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:06 PM

Aura my man.

Lot of people come to this forums because we do not understand much about IT. It is quite understandable that we get very jittery when it comes to changes to the way we are used to do things.  :unsure:

We do appreciate very very much the help you and all others are offering us.

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users