Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade to Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:52 AM

It certainly is enticing. I've tried an early release of windows 10 and I loved it. The only question is what will I lose from Windows 7?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:02 AM

Are you talking about the Windows 10 Technical Preview, or the official release on July 29th? Also, here's a small article which list the features that won't be present in Windows 10 (thank you to Corrine for the article).

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/3881/here-are-the-features-windows-10-will-remove-when-you-upgrade?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:55 AM

The Official Release.

#4 NotAnElf

NotAnElf

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

Ultimately, if Windows stick to their plan you will have to upgrade at some point to 10. I expect a few issues on the first few days but it really is down to personal preference.

I you have to capability then maybe download it one device and see how you like it before going all out and downloading it across the board.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

you will have to upgrade at some point to 10

Yeah in like 5 years, where extended support ends only for Windows 7, not Windows 8.1.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 badger44

badger44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

Will there be any way to keep the auto updates from occurring? My guess is no from all I've read. If that's the case, will it be possible to remove all the bloatware/advertising likely to come with the Msoft updates?

Edited by badger44, 01 June 2015 - 03:08 PM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

Windows 10 Home users won't be able to manage Windows Updates. Only users of Windows 10 Professional and above will. And if you mean bloatware/advertising from the OEM manufacturer, then yes. And if you mean the one from Microsoft, I'm sure there will be a way as well.

unite_blue.png

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:05 PM

Badger44: You can prevent systems running 8.1 or 8 or 7 being upgraded automatically to 10 by being very careful about which windows updates you allow and making sure your update settings are on "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing".

As yet there is no automatic forcible upgrade from windows 7, 8 or 8.1 to 10 but that might change, not allowing windows updates to be fully automatic on windows 7,8 and 8.1 machines should protect you from any attempts to forcibly upgrade you to windows 10.

As a general rule you should install security updates (after giving a quick check about what they are for by following the more information link)manually and immediately, other updates (important or recommended, any that aren't for security) you should check more carefully and only install if you think they will be helpful to you and won't be used for forcible upgrading.

If you do upgrade to 10 then all future updates will become forcible.

Kirbyofdeath posy#1:
The choice is up to you, but I advise thinking slowly and carefully, not rushing into it and making sure to look carefully at details before doing anything you can't go back on. If you want to upgrade there is no harm in waiting a while rather than jumping in quickly.

Edited by rp88, 01 June 2015 - 06:07 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

Once again: there's no process that forces a user to upgrade to Windows 10 and there isn't one planned in the future so far.

unite_blue.png

#10 badger44

badger44

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:29 PM

rp88,

Thanks for your input. I currently do have update settings as you suggest and since W10 won't allow that, I will indeed think long before moving to it. Since users have until nearly the end of July '16 before it costs to upgrade (money that is) will wait awhile until any further surprises are unveiled & resolved. Not interested if the cost is larding systems with games and other bloatware Msoft may be planning to push out for revenue enhancement.

Wasted a lot of time dealing with W8 initially, it seemed more appropriate for hand helds and touch screens than laptops. Dinosaur mentality perhaps, find many recent news web site "enhancements" to be similarly aimed.  

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:38 PM

There's no process that forces a user to upgrade to Windows 10

As Aura has said - you cannot be forced to upgrade until such time as you want to. Yes, MS own your OS. If you are running Windows of any flavour, you only have a license to use it, but you own the computer and decide what software you want running on it. As we all know, there are still thousands of computers out there running XP as well as hobbyists (enthusiasts ?) running older versions of Windows.

Personally, I have never been an early adopter whether of software or anything else. I'm chicken - I much prefer to let other people work out the bugs and problems. Let's hear it for SP1, or whatever the equivalent will be !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#12 Clade

Clade

• Members
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:10 AM

How will Microsoft will handle the different versions in the case of Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Ultimate. The most basic (Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium) will be considered Home and Professional, Ultimate switch to Windows 10 Pro?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,681 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:15 AM

Yes, that's exact Clade. You'll be upgraded to Windows 10 Professional since there's no "Ultimate" edition on Windows 10.

unite_blue.png

#14 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:37 AM

Pro update:  you're already on Windows XP, 7, 8 and hate it.

Pro update: you CLONED your current hard drive using Clonezilla (downloadable free from Sourceforge, follow Windows Method B here:  http://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php ).  Actually, you should be doing that once a week or more often anyway, as it's a LIVE BOOTABLE REPLICA of your hard drive, so you can clone back to your failing or to a new drive, without problems when Windows tanks.  (I've used it that way so many times, I've lost count.)  It's the closest thing to GoBack Windows has to offer.  Their 'restore points' and 'backup' options are a joke.  In fact, it's so good, that once I hooked up my Win7 clone to my XP machine at boot by mistake, and it automatically created a dual-boot, with the external clone being the 'dual'!

Pro update:  you like tinkering with old software.  These later OSes will tell you they are incompatible with old stuff, but that's only if you update ON TOP OF the old stuff.  If instead you do a clean install, you can later install the old stuff.  I didn't think that was true, but after two years of folks in PC World forum telling me I was wrong, I defer to them.  I can run DOS windows in Win7, but allegedly you can do it in Win8, so presumably also in Win10 (32-bit, else you need DOSbox or other emulator).

Con update:  you are too busy.

Con update: you hate all the inevitable snafu's which occur when installing Windows, even with a clean install (broken drivers, for example).

Con update: you will be forced to accept Win10 updates forever in the future. Updates break what you got installed.  Happens in every Windows iteration during the update phase, going all the way back to Windows 95.  Past is prologue.

Biggest Con Update:  MSFT never listens to its customers. They never care that what we have, breaks;  they don't care that the 'new' version makes us have to guess again how to do basic stuff, and the 'new' way is always more dysfunctional, than the 'old' way.  For this reason I will only update two machines with easily-removed hard drives (clone original to another internal drive, replace original with clone in computer, update clone, remove clone and restore original when as will undoubtedly happen, Win10 proves disappointing).

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 07:41 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#15 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 27 June 2015 - 07:48 AM

It certainly is enticing. I've tried an early release of windows 10 and I loved it. The only question is what will I lose from Windows 7?

The spin at MSFT claims you only lose your DVD and a few other minor things, but I don't believe it.  Cardinal rule is never install a 'new' WinOS atop an 'old' WinOS, but create another partition and do a clean install there.  That's safer, though a pain to reinstall programs, because frankly they won't work if you install ATOP them.  That's been true ever since Win95.  That's how I got my first Win95 computer (though I'd used it before, helping a friend).  A janitor named Jesus knew I was into computers, he saw one in the trash, gave it to me.  The guy who had owned it (and had no sense to wipe the disk) was trying to update to 98 from 95; he was so frustrated and the machine so broken from his trying (apparently he didn't know about Norton Utilities) -- he threw the thing out. That's how I got into Windows (else am a DOS junkie).

Internet is full of horror stories, people trying to update atop what they have.  Dell machines handle that better than others, according to the reviews I read from people updating that way themselves (Sony and HP owners had the worst luck).  This, from Win8 upgrade reviews in Amazon and elsewhere.

So why expect Win10 to be better?  Not possible.  Maybe it has nifty features on its own, and anything's an improvement versus Win8, but...

Edited by brainout, 27 June 2015 - 07:50 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users