Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 release date of July 29th announced

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:33 AM

If you are a user of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you will start seeing today a new icon in your Traybar that when clicked invites you to register for your free Windows 10 upgrade. If you register, Windows will automatically download Windows 10 on July 29th and then allow you to install it immediately or at a later time of your choosing.

windows-upgrade-tray-icon.jpg

As this free upgrade is only available for the first year, it is suggested that all users of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 reserve their free upgrade now. Once Windows 10 is released, they can then decide whether or not they want to upgrade and will be able to do so for free.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 10:46 AM

Windows 8 users aren't elligible to that update I think, we need a confirmation.

TEVa1fw.png

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,702 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean Aura. What you boxed simply states that you need to be running the latest version of either Windows 8 or 8.1 in order to be eligible for the free upgrade. In other words, you aren't behind in updates. The same footnote is written for Windows 7 with the exception that it doesn't state Windows 7.1 because there is no such version.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:00 PM

The latest version of Windows 8 is Windows 8.1 Update like stated in the screenshot. So Windows 8 users aren't elligible to the free upgrade, however, Windows 8.1 users (with the Update) are. This subject created a lot of confusion I know :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,394 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

Windows 8 users, along with Windows 8.1 users, are still being shown the reservation dialog.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

It's weird, because according to this post they wouldn't:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/i-want-to-reserve-my-free-copy-of-windows-10-but-i/848b5cce-958b-49ae-a132-a999a883265b

That whole thing has been a real confusion since Day 1 anyway :P

unite_blue.png

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,584 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

If you are a user of Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you will start seeing today a new icon in your Traybar that when clicked invites you to register for your free Windows 10 upgrade. If you register, Windows will automatically download Windows 10 on July 29th and then allow you to install it immediately or at a later time of your choosing.

The download for this upgrade most likely is going to be humongous and take quite a while for those of us who live in rural areas where our connection speed (and usage amount) is a factor. When Microsoft releases a large amount of updates on Patch Tuesday, I typically bring my notebooks into town to download and install when I am ready to do so. The way this is being introduced to us means we have to be careful when we choose to register.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

According to the screenshot, the download is around 3GB, which was the download size for Windows 7 .iso back then (average size).

unite_blue.png

#9 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:32 PM

The notification for the free upgrade hasn't appeared on my windows 7 machine, and i have the latest updates etc lol. How can i get it to appear? :lmao: . Haven't checked my laptop which runs windows 8 either yet, so hopefully it will appear on there :D.

Edited by Miguel_92, 01 June 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:34 PM

Miguel, it can take time for the notification to appear. Make sure you have the KB3035583 installed as well. I had to wait a few minutes to see it, another user on Windows 7 had to wait an hour or so.

unite_blue.png

#11 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

moments after posting it appeared lol. When W10 does roll out the download size shouldn't really be an issue for me. But i will probably have to plug an ethernet cable into my laptop as it will take a while via wi fi. People are getting slightly annoyed about the icon not going away, doesn't even bother me tbh.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:46 PM

There might be a way to hide it via the Registry. I'll look into it tonight. There's a few ways to go about it, but we'll need a safe one that doesn't hurt the system or mess with it too much.

unite_blue.png

#13 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

The main one i've seen is deleting 2 updates, but i'm not going to do that. Because i tried to do the same thing a few months ago regarding the 8.1 upgrade and it didn't get rid of the notification for upgrading to 8.1.

"So is there a way to get rid of it? The answer is, yes. In a really nice FAQ posted on Reddit, user luacs1998 shared this strategy for getting rid of the annoying update icon.

• You remove the ‘Get Windows 10’ icon the same way you would any other update. Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Uninstall an update -> look for "KB3035583" and “KB2952664” and uninstall them. The reboot and the icon should be gone (Note that when W10 itself comes, you'll have to check in Windows Update manually.)"

Edited by Miguel_92, 01 June 2015 - 02:52 PM.

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

The thing is that I don't know if uninstalling these updates affect your reservation, because it will use the components of these updates to notify you of the download and when it'll be ready to install.

I'll mess around tonight, I think I know how to remove it from the icon tray.

unite_blue.png

#15 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, i don't really want it to mess up my reservation or download, so that's why i am going to refrain from messing around with anything until a method that is 100% safe is found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users