Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Advice For A Sticky Situation?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LostInABQ

LostInABQ

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 01:37 PM

Okay, so here's the situation: I am now in possesion of my little brother's computer. He passed away unexpectedly about 3-4 months ago so it is important to my parents that I keep his files, documents, etc. I have experience building and using windows machines, but his is complex and has a few problems.

The computer itself is an overclocked, RAID configured comp - something I have never dealt with before, and I'd like to underclock it back to normal - not sure if I can do that simply from BIOS. Are any other changes necessary to undo overclocking?

Second, the computer recently had problems with a nasty trojan. I found a few sites dealing with the problem (including this one) and I followed the directions for removal of 3-4 different types. I *think* I solved the problem, using 6 (!!!) different apps -> Avast, Spybot, Lavasoft Adaware, Ewido, VundoFix, Smitfraudfix, and an Unlocker Assistant. - p.s. I haven't had problems with this since I deleted the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\winxtx32.dll. That was the last step I took. The only thing I think I need now is to run a registry repair program.

Third problem: I know my brother has at least some illegal files on it. For example, he has episodes of the simpsons (at leeast I think that's illegal), and I know he downloaded tons on programs like Kazaa and azureus. I do not know which (if any) software he has installed is legal/illegal or what?!?!

So, here's what I'm planning on doing (unless anyone has any recomendations?) I'm gonna go buy a big external HD and load all his documents, like music, photos, journal, etc. on to it. I'll probably make CD/DVD backups of questionables like any software, etc. Then format the 2 HD's and just start from the beginning. The more I think about how many steps this is gonna take, the more I'm thinking I should seek outside help.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Does anyone know how to check the legality of software without getting in trouble for having it? Undoing overclocking? And finally, could anyone suggest a good Registry repair?

Please help me, I'm so lost!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:13 PM

I am not that familiar with the Raid setup for hard drives but on the over clocking I would be very careful about that this has to do with the processor speed and I think the best way to fix this would be to talk with somebody either locally or possibly the computer's manufacturer tech support at least. They should be able to take it back to normal operation.

For finding out if the software is legal, If you are talking about the Windows operating System you can find that out pretty quick just go thru Windows Update and it will take you thru a verification process and tell you if it is illegal. I have absolute faith in this and it works, If you are legal it will let you through and get all of the updates and also tell you you are legal.

As or backing up the data you can do this with a file transfer program like Windows Explorer or Total Commander or the like. Just copy the files to the external hard drive to a sub directory and they are saved. Or you can use a backup program. Searching Google for backing up your hard drive should be good to give you a lot of info on this subject.

If you want to check for infections use this

I suggest you post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

Hi LostInABQ :thumbsup:

PC Pitstop may be able to answer these two questions.

The computer itself is an overclocked, RAID configured comp - something I have never dealt with before, and I'd like to underclock it back to normal - not sure if I can do that simply from BIOS. Are any other changes necessary to undo overclocking?

Overclocking forum
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=10

So, here's what I'm planning on doing (unless anyone has any recomendations?) I'm gonna go buy a big external HD and load all his documents, like music, photos, journal, etc. on to it. I'll probably make CD/DVD backups of questionables like any software, etc. Then format the 2 HD's and just start from the beginning. The more I think about how many steps this is gonna take, the more I'm thinking I should seek outside help.

User to User Help
http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=3

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

I am not an overclocking wizard, but going into the bios and resetting it to defaults should fix any CPU overclocking that is being done. For the most part overclocking is done within the bios, so changing it to its default settings would fix any adjustments that were done to overclock the CPU. Once the bios is reset to defaults, and you reboot the computer, it should autodetect the hard drives but now have the CPU running at its default speed. A good way to see if this works is when booting up the system write down the reported CPU speed. Then follow the above steps and reboot again. If it was overclocked it should now be at a lower speed than the overclocked one.

It is also possible that he is overclocking his video card. Do you know what video card is in the machine as having that info can help to determine that?

As for the legallity of the software there is no real way to determine this without receipts etc. There could be software that is using a crack or serial numbers that are published on the web and you would never know. If you want to be safe, then a reinstall is the way to go and then installing the software that you know you legally have the right to use.

Last but not least the backup. Buying an external HD and backing up all his data is definitely an easy to way to back it up. You could also use a DVD burner or CD Rom burner if that is easier. Once the data has been backed up you can then reformat and reinstall. If you know how to install Windows this should not be too difficult to do.

If you want help determining where the data files may be stored feel free to ask.

#5 LostInABQ

LostInABQ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:40 AM

It is also possible that he is overclocking his video card. Do you know what video card is in the machine as having that info can help to determine that?

Thanks for the advice, you were right about the overclocking. As for his video cards, when I look in the Device Manager under Display Adapters, I get this:

Radeon 9800 PRO (Omega 2.6.75a)
Radeon 9800 PRO Secondary (Omega 2.6.75a)

I didn't know you could overclock vid cards!?!?

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 08:04 PM

There are two ways to overclock a radeon card. The first is sometimes via the drivers and other ways are to use a 3rd party application.

Lets check the control panel first. Enter your control panel and double-click on the Display control panel. Then click on settings tab and then click on the advanced button.
In the advanced properties you may see a tab named of the video card, or Nvidia, or Omega. When on that settings tab poke around and look for something on overclocking. If its there, and its set for something, click on the default button or the do not overclock option. I know these instructions are a bit vague but different driver version have different interfaces.

If there is nothing there we will need to see a list of installed programs so that I can tell if there is a program that overclocks installed instead.

To get a list of installed programs to assist me in any cleanup.
  • To do this open your HijackThis [list=a]
  • Click on Open the Misc Tools section or Config… button, depending on how you are set up.
  • If you used the Config... option then click the Misc Tools tab
  • Select Open Uninstall Manager , a list of your installed programs will be displayed. Please do not be tempted to edit the contents!
  • Select the Save List… button and save the file to your desktop.
Please post a copy of this list

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:42 AM

Kazaa free is loaded with spyware. If that is the version you have - delete it, then follow directions, download install and run Hijack This and post a log in our HJT Forum..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users