Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Monitior vertical line out of nowhere

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hey all

By the advice of OrangeBlossom I am posting my problem in here

my laptop is old, yes, to get that out of the way, its five years old, these are its specs;

Maker: Delle

Model: Latitiude D620 series

Graphics: Intel

Hard Drive: 80GB

RAM: 2GB

Screen Resolution: 1200x800

My problem is this

A strange pale gold line appeared on my screen on the right third side in fact, of the screen, it covers over everything, possibly a pixel or so in width. I tried restarting my laptop, but it did no good whatsoever. I'm not sure if its a dead pixel, or bunch of dead pixels, or even if its a virus, or power spike or something else entirely. I am currently running MBAM to ensure its not a virus, so far nothing's been found.

What started as a pale gold vertical line on my screen, turned color to pale blue, and now it is white. It covers everything that is colored, but blends in with white backgrounds only. which is weird I know.

Would like any and all advice please on what to do to fix this outside of get a new laptop ASAP {which I plan to do within the week anyhow}

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:36 PM

Does the line extend completely from top to bottom of screen?

A single pixel line the entire height of the screen is almost certainly an internal fault in the LCD panel. If so it will show on the BIOS setup screen also.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:05 AM

Does the line extend completely from top to bottom of screen?

A single pixel line the entire height of the screen is almost certainly an internal fault in the LCD panel. If so it will show on the BIOS setup screen also.

Yes; this is exactly what is happening; I am not sure if it is a internal wiring fault, which had happened to me once before {screen wouldn't start, turned out to be a loose wire on an older Lenovo laptop 9 years ago}, or if it is the LC starting to leak out.

Its not as bad I as originally thought; though I do plan to get a new laptop this week. Maybe sell off this one to a local shop; if I knew what caused it to appear however....

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:39 AM

In that case it is internal to the LCD panel, either a faulty column driver (the electronic switch matrix built into the panel that turns pixels on and off) or a faulty (high impedance) thermal bond in one of the flexible looms, again inside the LCD panel. It's just something that happens occasionally to LCD panels, and may not get any worse.

#5 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:43 AM

But it is fixable then ? column driver ? Is there software drivers for that to repair it ? {doubtful I know, but still does not hurt to ask}

All in all, thanks for the help!

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:35 AM

But it is fixable then ?

Yes, but the LCD panel would need to be replaced.

#7 Dragongirl

Dragongirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 12:42 AM

Alrighty!

Thanks much Platypus!!

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:35 AM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users