Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 being pushed out to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Microsoft has started advertising Windows 10 to users of Windows 7 and 8 with the window that you see above. First noted by a user on Reddit, this window is now being reported by multiple users that Microsoft is allowing them to reserve a copy of the OS for free.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7-and-8-users-are-now-able-to-reserve-their-free-copy-of-windows-10

Thank you to aworrior for noticing this and reported it in this thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/575296/the-real-reason-microsoft-is-offering-windows-10-for-free/page-5#entry3722140

Edit: Another article, however I can't seem to access it:

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-begins-advertising-windows-10-windows-87-users-notifications-can-now-reserve-free

Edit 2: Installed the KB3035583 which pushes the upgrade (thank you John). After a restart and a few minutes, the icon appeared in my icon tray.

74WCHKU.png
(French screenshot I know)
Q6FYDEt.png

Edited by Aura., 01 June 2015 - 05:24 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:53 PM

Pushed out using KB3035583. Even after I hid it the update still pops up under Important updates. I'm glad I didn't download this crap update. Installs another process and puts a GWX folder in system32.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

I have this update as an optional one right now. I'll install it and see how it goes.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:44 PM

Pushed out using KB3035583. Even after I hid it the update still pops up under Important updates. I'm glad I didn't download this crap update. Installs another process and puts a GWX folder in system32.

There's been a couple of dodgy updates recently that we've rejected. :unsure:

I don't know what the rush to push this product is. After all it is going to be the best Windows ever and everyone will be crowding around to get a slice of the action anyway. :whistle:

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:46 PM

I have an icon in my system tray called "Get Windows 10"

It did not install anything it enables a notice that when the official release is available it will notify me of such and download the update, then it will be my choice to install it for free.

Not sure what the rest of you are seeing. I have Windows 7 service pack 1 on my system.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:49 PM

There's been a couple of dodgy updates recently that we've rejected. :unsure:

I don't know what the rush to push this product is. After all it is going to be the best Windows ever and everyone will be crowding around to get a slice of the action anyway. :whistle:

Yes, won't need much "push"... there seems to now be a good awareness that it is coming.  And too a sense of anticipation meaning, looking forward to it... The awareness that is, already, there points @ people welcoming it.  Personally, I think it will be very well received and found to be appealing... this is what the 'chatter' suggests, as well.  Certainly, for the bulk the view sounds very positive.  And deservedly so, too.

Paul,
Could well be that 7 SP1s 8.1s might see that,  they being the 1s eligible for the N/C Upgrade & all; nice courtesy to notify them of availability... come the day... plus, not all that far off anymore.

Cheers,
Drew

thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 31 May 2015 - 11:55 PM.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:31 AM

Well I know I can't wait.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:54 AM

Well I know I can't wait.

See what I mean...

:welcome:   thO622AIFO_zpsncnl0jup.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,920 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

Yes as a devout Linux user I can't wait to get rid of my nice stable Ubuntu and install Windows 10, I also enjoy having my teeth drilled or pulled without anaesthetic. :hysterical:

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:19 AM

I'm a Linux user too. 

Fortunately I get free dental. :lmao:

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Well I just installed it and it required a reboot. I don't have anything in my icon tray right now however. But if that's the update, I'll tell my Sysadmin at work so he doesn't let it go throught. For now he won't pay attention to it since it's an Optional Update, but if they upgrade it to Important, he'll consider it.

unite_blue.png

#12 williamjohnson

williamjohnson

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

Yes as a devout Linux user I can't wait to get rid of my nice stable Ubuntu and install Windows 10, I also enjoy having my teeth drilled or pulled without anaesthetic. :hysterical:

Than you may enjoy dating one of my three ex wives......

#13 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:29 AM

Well, like everyone else I am always skeptical of anything that is advertised for "free". As the "ole adage" says "If it is too good to be true it probably is". That or some conditions attached. But so far, none seem to be apparent with this offer.

I have the Window Icon on my systray as well and am on the fence as whether to take the plunge or wait. My Windows 7 OS is tweaked just the way I prefer and I really hesitate at the possibility of disruption.

I think I will err on the side of discretion for now, unless there are overwhelming accolades for this new OS ??

#14 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:30 AM

For all who fear that little Microsoft Icon sitting in the System Tray, or, those of you afraid to have the Microsoft Icon sitting in your System Tray...

Please read on!

A process is created on your system named GWX.exe (I assume this stands for Get Windows X (X=Roman Numeral 10))

Right Clicking the Icon we find 4 choices...

1. Get Windows 10 (View a slideshow and links allowing you to Reserve your copy of Windows 10, Choose if you wish an Email confirmation.)

2. Check your upgrade status (If you chose to reserve your copy of Windows 10 you will see a window stating All Done For Now and a Close Button.)

3. Go to Windows Update (Opens the Windows Update Site.)

4. Get to know Windows 10 (Opens your default browser to the Windows 10 Q&A page with all of the information you need about Windows 10.)

For those of you who have feared the update that brings this monster onto your Windows 7/Windows 8.1 computer, I have included a link below to the Windows 10 Q&A page.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_context

Folks, I highly recommend Everyone (even the Naysayers) to read this page. Quite possibly it will eliminate some of the sh!thouse rumors that have developed.

If you don't have the Icon and wish to know more information about this Demon...

Follow this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

Rock On :guitar:  My Friends!

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:32 AM

Both links returns me a "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found." page from Microsoft.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users