Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Protection Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jenn3

jenn3

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:06 PM

Not sure if i am posting my question in the right spot, but i have windows xp and had microsoft security essentials for protection...someone said it will no longer be supporting xp, therefore, what is the best free anti virus software recommended?

Thanks in advance

Edited by jenn3, 31 May 2015 - 08:13 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi jenn3 :)

Sadly, a free Antivirus protection won't cut it in Windows XP. Keep in mind that as of now, Windows XP's support has been discontinued, which means that you are using an outdated and vulnerable OS, no matter how you look at it. Even if you install a security software for every aspect of the OS, you won't be able to protect it from being exploited at a system level. It's strongly recommended to either upgrade to a newer version of Windows (at least Windows 7) if you want to use a free Antivirus solution, or move to a paid Antivirus program for Windows XP as like I said, a free Antivirus just won't do it.

On top of that, is it possible to have your computer specs and know what you use that computer for, so we can give you recommendations based on your needs? Keep in mind that most recommendations here given by the members are based on their opinions and experiences with the products, since the "best" Antivirus program doesn't exist and probably never will. In this domain, the "best" is relative to a person's point of view, and isn't established by an organization or anything else.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 themnkidd

themnkidd

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 03:25 AM

I am not sure, but i think avira still support's xp Are running 32 bit or 64 bit also check there site for service pack required and i think immunet protect works on xp service pack 3.

Edited by themnkidd, 01 June 2015 - 03:39 AM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:20 AM

Apparently, Avira stopped supporting Windows XP the same day Microsoft ended it's support. Below you can find a list of Antivirus programs that still supports Windows XP:

http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/the-end-is-nigh-for-windows-xp-these-anti-virus-software-products-will-continue-to-protect-xp-after/?=

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:34 AM

The one with the longest support is Webroot - but then Webroot isn't free.

Looks like viable options are Avast and BitDefender.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:20 AM

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

...The best news where this issue is concerned comes from the manufacturers of security software: with security suites continuing to provide updates for their software on XP systems after 8th April for at least one year or even longer depending on the manufacturer in question. Some companies have even promised to keep providing updates for two years and others have yet to plan any deadline whatsoever for the end of support. At the end of this article, you will find a list of all of the statements made by manufacturers of security software with regard to this matter that we have compiled for your information...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 06:27 AM

BTW...Windows XP users should also stop using Internet Explorer as that version is no longer supported and is vulnerable to exploits. Instead, they should use an updated alternate Browser.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:00 PM

Post #7: I strongly agree with that.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users