Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent dropping of internet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp101

rp101

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:30 PM

Hi - I am signed up to the Medium Superbroadband deal of TalkTalk (38/1.8Mbps down/upload speeds). When everything is working fine, this is roughly what I get (testing using Ookla) using Ethernet. But over past 6 weeks I have had increasing problems with dropping (from between few seconds to up to 6 hours). In addition, my speeds can vary hugely (& randomly) ie no obvious pattern such as slowing down in evenings only etc. Been in discussion with TalkTalk Community for past 3 weeks but situation not resolved (they suggest I need new router - I am on about my 5th, & I am sure (sorry - gut-feeling!!) it is not router problem). One of the (Win 8.1/FF) messages I get (other than "unable to connect") is "Latency test error". A bit of digging suggested I should use ping & tracert cmds - when working, I get pings of ca 15 ms, but can range up to > 500ms, or complete dropping of packages (request timed out). I have also read that the FIRST line of the tracert should return times of < 1ms (ie the 1st hop). Sometimes I get this, sometimes 4 to 5 ms. Again, I get VERY varaible speeds for remaining hops - comparing like with like - anything from 20 ms -> 1000 ms -> Request timed out.

I had TT engineer out yesterday, & of course the internet was working fine ... he is suggesting problem lies with LAN setting at telephone exchange/cabinet. Could there be other causes?? eg the external BT line comes to the outer wall of (next doors) proprty & splits into our & their line. I had a look at the "junction box" today but could not see anthing useful, other than 1) asking our neigbour who complains about poor recption of her landline (ours is fine), & to note that BT installed a new line from our house to (old) this box about 5 years ago.

I guess my bottom line Q is: why do I get such extreme fluctuations, and what are the possible causes. Can i do any further tests myself?

Many thanks

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

From your time stamp, you live in the UK, therefore you live under the rule of BT !  The engineer who was at your house may be right about settings in the exchange but there are plenty of other weak spots.

BT use a lot of aluminium wiriing between their local cabinets and the exchange. Al is a lot cheaper then Cu and so long as it is not subject to movement is an excellent substitute, but it is prone to cracking. Given that your neighbour is having problems with her phone line a cracked or nearly broken wire at the cabinet may be the cause of the problem. We use to use TalkTalk but changed because of unresolved problems. Our new ISP identified a cracked line at the junction box as the root of the problems, including some impressive crackling on voice calls.

Having had several routers and checked your internal connections as far as the master socket, you have done your bit. The external wiring is not your responsibility, lean on TalkTalk to lean on BT who do the maintenance.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rp101

rp101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:24 AM

Chris- thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I will be pushing TalkTalk to look at cabinet/exchange. I have had real problems with TT going back 6+ months, but finally hit the roof after threatening "not fit for service" & OFCOM (actually CISAS) and got a senior TT manager involved. Eventually mananged to get our service repaired & package for about 50% off. Needless to say, it has come back to bite me!! I DO think TT are trying to improve their customer service - but (one thing I did not know) Talk Talk Community COMPLETELY indepenent of TT Helpdesk, and no ability for the two to communicate, so spend a lot of time duplicating info already provided; 2) TT Community stock answer is "have a new router", and 3) As you say, BT has everybody by short & curlies re external wiring/exchanges & cabinets - there is pressure for this to change asap. 

I am seriously looking at one of the smaller, dedicated broadband services. I would be interested in which ISP you are now with - if it is more appropriate to send an email direct rather than open forum my email is . Thank you for your time. (and yes - live in london in fact, & so slightly wider choice of ISPs). Regards Richard

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 05 June 2015 - 06:55 PM.
E-mail address deleted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users