Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

If someone gets my IP, what can they do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Encryption

Encryption

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:53 PM

If someone gets my IP address and leaks it, except from booting me offline, can they really do anything? Do the hackers need to contact my ISP to get my address?

And another very important question, except for a VPN or proxy, can I change my assigned IP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:59 PM

If someone gets my IP address and leaks it, except from booting me offline, can they really do anything? Do the hackers need to contact my ISP to get my address?

And another very important question, except for a VPN or proxy, can I change my assigned IP?

Not really because typically you're behind a router with a NAT firewall.

Your ip address is public and you will see incoming scans hackers looking for a open port to exploit.

Yes and No it depends on the router capabilities to clone a mac address. If you have a cable provider that hands out IP's by dhcp then that is the only way to get a new IP address. You force it's change by changing mac address of the routers WAN port. If you have ISP that is DSL then you might not have that ability and have a static IP.

Edited by technonymous, 31 May 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#3 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:46 PM

Hi,
You will not have to bother about such issues unless you're assigned a static IP address by your ISP (common for corporate connections)
Even then, you will be protected by your router's firewall as well as your machine's personal firewall.
Most ISPs provide dynamic IP to end user devices, which are auto-renewed after a fixed time of lease. Whomever portscanning your IP from outside is stopped at router (if it has a firewall or IPS)
NAT will as help in preventing unnecessary traffic from reaching your personal device.

Inorder to know the IP lease and mapping and customer data, attackers must compromise ISP itself, which is not an easy task.

Changing IP address via VPN or Proxy won't change the ISP assigned public IP, but hides it.
Another way of anonymity is to use TOR browser package.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 31 May 2015 - 09:53 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#4 Encryption

Encryption
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:21 PM

Tor is way too slow for me, but I guess an IP isn't too identifying anyway.

#5 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

TOR works by bouncing your network traffic through a lot of volunteer hosted servers/hosts. Thus that will create some latency. (If you go through the crypto malware help topics here at BC , you will find most of them hide their original location by use of onion network , which tor is based on)
IP won't be in favour of an attacker if you are using your commonsense and acting upon plus your machine is clean as well as protected with necessary tools like AV + FW
+ AM, block unnecessary ads in browsers, antiscripting tools like noscript etc.

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 02 June 2015 - 11:18 PM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users