Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is The Best Low Budget Printer With The Cheapest Cartridges

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:59 PM

What is the best budget color printer with the cheapest cartridges??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

I've seen a large number of HP, Brother, Epson and Lexmark that range to $50.  The cartridges alone usually cost $20. for black and $30. for the tri-color cartridges.  They can last for years and the only maintenance needed is to clean out the cleaner bar and ink cup yearly and keep a supply of cartridges handy.  Most will clog up in a week of non-use and will resist unclogging.  Look for a unit that offers a high capacity black cartridge (XL) to offer long life and easier refills. 

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

The best printer, if you want monochrome only, would be an inexpensive laser printer.  Ditto if you want color printing capabilities.  Lasers outperform inkjets...and they don't cost an arm and a leg..

You do know that...the manufacturers of these "budget printers" make their money on selling ink cartridges, right ?  Have you never wondered why new printers are either the same price or cheaper than the ink?

The ink for laser printers lasts far longer without doling out money...than such would for any inkjet printer, IMO.

Louis

#4 Agarest

Agarest

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

I use a HP printer and insert my own ink refills. I bought some cheap kits from Amazon which lets me refill it quite a few times. I won't suggest to use it if you don't want to deal with initial troubleshooting issues that may occur. But it is an option.

#5 thehush

thehush

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

It depends on what you want to print. By saying you need a colour printer. I'm assuming your printing photos? If you just need it for text then a decent all in one could be useful.

In terms of general home use and easiest to use printers and their ink I would suggest an Epson printer as the cartridges are cheaper, the new versions out at the moment are good.

HP are good but can get plenty of updates and the same with canon. In terms of photo printing from what I have used I would go for Canon or Epson.

If you don't print very often I would suggest buying the OEM (original or genuine) products. I you print frequently I would suggest buying or finding the compatible or re-manufactured which is you find a good supplier will save you a small fortune.

The laser printer or ink jet printer argument again comes down to how often you print and what you need your printer for. Frequent - Laser , Infrequent - Inkjet.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

My thoughts about printers.

Spend the money on a laser printer.  The initial up front cost is easily covered by not having to replace cartridges because the ink dried up.  You can pick up a color laser printer for a little over $250.  But you will notice that it comes with "introductory HP LaserJet Black, Cyan, Yellow, Magenta print cartridges".  This means that they are not the cartridges that you purchase to replace them and have less toner than what you would purchase.  A set of replacement cartridges will cost about the same price as the printer, but each cartridge is rated for 1,000 pages.

Only use original equipment manufacturer (OEM) cartridges.  Refilling and third party cartridges may save you money on ink or toner, but may damage your printer.  I worked for a company that saved money on toner and had printer maintenance costs increased over 400% due to issues with third party toner.  Sure we got a replacement cartridge when it leaked inside the machine, but that leak caused costly repairs.

If you want to print photos you're better off going through a printing service such as Snapfish.  Once you figure in the cost of paper it just isn't worth it to do yourself.

Edited by Kilroy, 02 July 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#7 fives2

fives2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Hi,

If you want to go cheap choose a printer where you can refill your cartridges because it is 10 times cheaper that way.

I own a Canon PIXMA 2455 and the refilling cost with black is 2.5 dollars. You can refill your cartridges by using a seringe and order from internet black or coloured ink.For more intel http://printon3d.com/printers-reviews/

#8 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 23 August 2015 - 08:52 AM

What is the best budget color printer with the cheapest cartridges??

If you don't do a lot of printing you're going to use up a lot of ink when it runs the cleaning cycle regardless how much/little you pay for it. You have to do enough to keep the jets clear. Once they clog the cleaning cycle will kick in. Cartridges don't have the capacity of cartridges from just a few years ago.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:25 AM

I just happened upon an Office Depot/Office Max not too long ago, picked up a last-year's-model laser B&W Canon.  Toner cartridge is $115.  I believe there were a couple of color-printers as well.  Whatever printer you buy, try to buy last year's model if saving monies is one of your desires.

Edited by RolandJS, 21 September 2015 - 11:26 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users