Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sharing Monitor between a Mac and a PC

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 bsmith6356

bsmith6356

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

I have found posts related to this question, but none with these specifics.

I'm a Graphic Artist that uses a mac and a PC at work, and often switch back and forth depending on apps I'm using. The majority of the time I'm using the PC, which has 2 monitors connected to the PC via a DVI to VGA splitter. On the Mac, Cinema Display monitor is connected via mini DisplayPort cable.

I would like to use the Mac Display as a 3rd monitor for the PC, but then be able to use it on the Mac when I need it. I do not need them to work both ways, in other words, I'm fine with the Mac only having one monitor. 

Am trying to accomplish this without spending over $100, I'm footing the bill at work for this. I"m not opposed to a KVM box but know they're expensive. I figure that I can use Synergy for the keyboard and mouse, if that's the best way to go.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Thanks!

Brent S

Charlotte, NC

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

Need to see what you have on the HP for video out.  If that is the same HP video splitter I'm familiar with, it isn't DVI, it is a custom dongle.

Can you post a picture of the rear of the HP?

#3 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:13 PM

Thanks Kilroy- The only pic I have has cable plugged in (dark pic), I can take a pic tomorrow with no cable.

Attached Files

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:34 AM

That does look like the custom HP dongle.  Is there a card below the adapter and is there another video connector by the USB and network slots?

#5 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

Thanks again, Kilroy. I've added a few more pics to the original photo, I think it captures the ports that you asked about. There's also some monitor info on the PC, I wasn't sure if I could run anything through it that might help me accomplish.

Brent

Attached Files

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

I think the best you're going to be able to do is USB to VGA then VGA to DVI

#7 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:02 AM

Would you mind giving me a detailed breakdown of what connects to what, on both the mac and the PC, and the least expensive way to go as far as a switch box? (I'm assuming that I need that?) 

Thanks again!

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

Connect the USB to VGA to the the PC.  Connect the VGA to DVI on the USB to VGA connector and connect to the Mac monitor on the DVI port and then use the monitor source to select which computer shows.  You should be able to have the PC connected to the DVI port and the Mac connected to the display port at the same time eliminating the need for a switch box.

#9 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Thanks for hanging through this...

Does the current setup I have with the dongle/splitter between the PC and it's two monitors remain as is?

A USB can carry video to a monitor? I wasn't aware of that. Any USB on the back of PC?

When you say "connect to the Mac monitor on the DVI port"….my Mac monitor only has USB ports on the back..no DVI. The DVI pictured is on the Mac tower, sorry if that was confusing. What would be alternative?

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

Okay, then this might not work.  I thought the DVI and display port connections were on the monitor.  What are the cables that we can connect to the monitor?

#11 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:32 PM

Just the 3 USB ports. The cables off of the back are the mini DisplayPort, a USB cable (enables the 3 USB ports), and a power source for a laptop.

Attached Files

Edited by bsmith6356, 03 June 2015 - 07:34 PM.

#12 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:34 PM

Not to barge in here as I know Killroy is a competent advizor-

But I thought I'd just re-iterate that this is not currently possible.  What you would need is a new video card on the PC computer that supports triple monitors.  (like an Nvidia 6xx anything above a 650)

And then attatch the HDMI connector from the video card to a KVM switch that has two types of inputs- 1-HDMI and one minidisplayport and outputs a minidisplayport- (This does not exist) The HDMI to minidisplaport side would act as a triple monitor display from the PC and then use the switch for when you wanted to work on the mac.

It is theoretically possible IMO but the hardware to achieve your desired result is not available either because of licensing / bandwidth / or other technical issues.

~ Yeah

#13 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

YeahBleeping.  It can be done, but it will be a cludge of the grandest measure.  You can go USB to VGA to DVI to Display Port.  The quality would be more than a little questionable.

Adding a video card to the HP would probably be the best bet, but staying under $100 is the real issue.  Here are some inexpensive video cards with display port outs,  The problem is a display port video switch or KVM is close to $100.

#14 bsmith6356

bsmith6356
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:31 AM

What if I switch out my mac monitor with a co-worker that has similar size HP monitor? It has a DVI, VGA and an HDMI port.

Could this work then?

From what Bleeping mentions, I think I'd still need to get a video card on the PC that supports three monitors? Or just add another video card with DVI (or HDMI?)?

If that would work, can give me the new configuration of "plug this into that and then that into this"scenario?

Would I still need a switch or KVM, or could I achieve through the Input Control on PC?

THANK YOU, GUYS!

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

@Killroy I really don't think your proposed setup would work .. once you kill/strip the digital signal by dropping it down to VGA (analog) you cannot then 'create' a digital signal out of thin air by attempting to go back to displayport.  I am 90% sure of this.

@OP from the look of the back of your computer .. it does not have onboard graphics which would give you 3way.  As I stated you would need a video card that supports 3 outputs.  You could then use your co-workers monitor but I would like to see what the possible inputs are on that monitor as personally I would want HDMI instead of VGA-Dsub.  You could then use your existing dual splitter cable but you would still need a kvm type switch to switch the third monitor's input from your mac to the pc on your as needed basis.  If you could provide a picture of the inputs/cables on your co workers pc killroy and I can provide you more information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users