Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Torch quarantined by AdwCleaner--but I didn't want it removed.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mannaman

Mannaman

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:47 PM

Is there a simple why to return everything in place? I had recently made a good number of changes and had not backed up. Can someone please show me how to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:57 PM

AdwCleaner only quarantines files/folders, not products which refers only to CLSID registry keys. After confirming a file is legitimate, it can be safely restored from quarantine and added to the exclusion or ignore list.

The AdwCleaner folder contains sub-folders for Backup and Quarantine. Each of these folders contain sub-folders of the exact location (full path) an entry (file/folder) was removed from so they can be safely restored.

If a particular program you recognize and want to keep is detected as a PUP by a security scanner, it usually can be restored from quarantine and added to the exclusion or ignore list.

To restore a file in AdwCleaner, run it again.
  • Click Tools > Quarantine manager.
  • A log file of what was removed will open in a new window.
  • Scroll through the list and find the entry you want to restore.
  • Place a check mark in the box next to the entry(s).
  • Click the Restore button.
adwcleaner-quar-list.jpg

If you removed (uninstalled) AdwCleaner, all sub-folders including those for Backup and Quarantine will have been deleted and there will be no way to retrieve anything that had been placed in those folders even if you reinstall the AdwCleaner. You can attempt recovery by using a third-party data recovery tool but there is no guarantee doing that will be successful.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:58 PM

If you suspect AdwCleaner of detecting a legitimate file(s)...please report them here: AdwCleaner False Positive Reporting Topic
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users