Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Codes When Windows 7 Updates Fail

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mintizmate

mintizmate

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:12 PM

Hi All,

I have in the past week been unable to install updates on my computer (HP Pavilion P6000 Series), running Windows 7 64 Bit Home Edition.

I am getting error codes:- 641,   80070641,   13EC. 

I belive that these errors could indicate malware infection or file corruption (Windows Installer). I have run Kaspersky Internet Security (Latest Edition) and also I-Obit Advanced System Care 8. Both these have come up clean, and the problem is still there.

Any advice or solutions would be gratefully received. As it is now 23:11 UK time I am calling it a night, but will check back in tomorrow morning.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

Hello there, 

Do you remember making any recent changes to the computer prior to this issue?

In the mean time you can try one of the following solutions to solve the issue: 

Method 1:

Run fix it from the link and check if the issue persists: 

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Method 2:

If the above steps fails follow the steps in the link and check if the issue persists

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-problems-with-installing-updates

Method 3:

If the above step fails restart computer in clean boot and try installing Windows update. Follow “step 1” in the link to enable to clean boot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135                                    

Follow step 7 from the article to “Reset the computer to start as usual”, after performing the clean boot troubleshooting.

You may also follow the steps in the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

Hope this helps 

#3 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:37 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I have tried option 1, but the "Microsoft Fix-It" program will not load. I think that this is where the problem lies. I got a 'pop up' which said that the computer could not access the Windows Installer Service and that the Windows Installer is probably corrupted in some way.

However, I will try the other options that you have suggested.

Thanks for your time.

Regards

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:07 AM

Let's see if we can rule out file corruption.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to open the log, copy the log and paste it in your topic. 
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:30 AM

Sorry for the delay. I have run the search and there does appear to be some problems.

I am now trying to copy and paste the results of the scan, but not having much luck at the moment - -but will try again.

Regards

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:28 AM

I'll be around. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

Good evening or in your case good morning,

OK.Following your instructions, I have been able to run the System File Checker. The end result stated that errors had been found but not all could be rectfied. I then copied and pasted the command line that you sent me into the search and file box, but unfortunately there was no icon generated, so I was unable to copy and paste the results into the topic as requested. What did happen was that for a fleeting second the 'black results box' (For want of a better description - hope you know what I mean.) flashed and the disapeared.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 02:27 PM

Click on the Start orb startorb_zpsvudtmgfg.png, then type the following in the Search porgrams and files box.

cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt", then press Enter.

This will place a new icon on your desktop titled CBS.txt, click on this and copy it and then paste it in your topic.

#9 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:47 PM

Typed in twice as requested making sure that spaces were placed  but nothing has happened.  I will now try again and advise.

#10 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Third time of trying...but nothing appearing on desktop.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

Are you pressing Enter after the command?

#12 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:49 PM

Yes I press the Enter key, but nothing happens.

The surprising thing is that after 2  restarts my computer now appears to be running normally. The Windows updates have installed themselves without any more fuss. Strange things computers.

However as I told you the scan that I did indicated that there were problems with my system that it could not put right, but in the usual Windows methodology, did not say what they were, so I am hoping that these will show up in the log. So I am willing to give it another try and see if I can manage to send the log to you.......don't hold your breath though.

I will enter the command that you sent once I haveposted this.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:12 PM

In the Start menu click on Computer.  

If you have more that one partition or hdd click on the C: drive, then Windows, then Logs, then CBS.

Your CBS log will have the date and time that the log was created.  Double click on the file, a text file will appear, double click on that.

A window will open titled Select a Destination, click on Desktop, then click on Make New Folder and name the folder, then click on Extract.

You should now have an icon on your desktop with the log in it.  Open it, copy it and paste it in your topic.

#14 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

O K will be back later

#15 mintizmate

mintizmate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Upon opening the CBS log file I have found 2 files. File 1 - - CBS TXT file Dated 3/6 at 20.33. Access is denied to this file.

File 2 - - CbsPersist_20150603193048 WinZip file.

I can open file 2 using Zip. Is this the one you need. It means nothing to me whatsoever, but there does seem to be quite a few error statements in it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users