Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Weird disconnection issues with Netgear N900

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ceponatia

ceponatia

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

Hey guys,

This issue comes and goes at random. My connection can be fine for weeks at a time and then suddenly for a day or two it's constant.

This wireless router has a regular Wi-Fi connection and a 5g connection available. The issue is that my computer will stop getting internet from one connection and I'll have to connect to the other to reconnect. Then after about ten minutes that connection will stop getting internet and I'll have to switch back to the other one. This goes back and forth sometimes for days. I'm not sure if the problem is the router or my PC.

I will say that although this issue has been happening for about a year (ever since I moved back in with my parents) we recently "upgraded" our internet and television service and since then have been having connection issues that their tech support is totally clueless about. If anybody here is willing to help, I'll try any suggestions you have to narrow it down.

I use Windows 8 on my PC and also have an iPhone 6 and two iPads but it seems like only the PC experiences the frequent disconnection (I'll check the iPad's when it goes down again).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:20 PM

Well you sort of need to know if it's just your PC or is all things connected to the network experiencing the same issue(s).

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 ceponatia

ceponatia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:23 PM

Looks like it's just the one PC. Just happened again and my phone and iPad were still working.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:45 PM

First thing I always try is uninstall the device in Device manager and reboot. So just right click on the wireless device, click Uninstall, and click OK. Then reboot.

what is listed in Device manager for the wireless device? Is the PC a home built or pre-made(Dell. HP, etc)?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 ceponatia

ceponatia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:50 PM

I have Realtek 8821AE Wireless LAN 802.11ac PIC-E NIC 

and

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Uninstalling both and rebooting now.

#6 ceponatia

ceponatia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

I uninstalled the drivers and upon rebooting my computer wasn't able to find the drivers to reinstall. Ended up performing a system restore and for the time being that worked but I anticipate the problem will occur again in the future. When that happens I'll try to dig deeper. Thanks for the help. :) Working fine for now.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

That's weird, you didn't put a check in the box on the uninstall window did you?

#8 ceponatia

ceponatia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

Yup! :) I was 50/50 on whether or not I should do that and I chose unwisely. Haha

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:04 PM

lol yeah. that uninstalls the software completely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users