Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turning your computer off each night and when not in use...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Who here turns their computer off when not in use?

I've read from multiple articles and many videos ( linus being the most credible ) recommending and saying its ok to turn your computer off when not in use.

Reduces heat and potential wear and tear.  The other thought is though everytime you turn your computer on your wearing on the parts as well.

Personally I turn mine off everytime I walk away.  It literaly take 4 sec. to shutdown and 6 sec. to turn on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:15 PM

I turn it off when I go to sleep at night, or when I need to take it with me. That's it.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

I shutdown my home computer everytime I have to leave the house and before going to bed. Otherwise, it stays open. As for my work laptop (on a docking station) at work, I leave it open all week long (restart it when required for Windows Updates or a SCCM deployment) and then shut it down before leaving at 4 on Friday for the weekend.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

I turn my two desktops...on in the morning when I awake, off at night when I'm ready to sleep.

If I'm out of town...I disconnect the surge protectors they are connected to...from the wall outlets.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 May 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,677 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:09 PM

If I'm out of town...I disconnect the surge protectors they are connected to...from the wall outlets.

That's what you have to do. A lot of people forget about it. I do the same during a thunderstorm when the power goes of and off (or whenever the power goes on and off as well). You can really break your computer if you let it shut down and restart continually on power less.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:57 PM

I turn some of my stuff off/on several times a day but all go off at night, I accidentally left LT with an SSD's on over night I was surprised to see it was cold -0- temp by the vent.  Tells me it is doing little to nothing when left idle for a long period.

P.S. Not sure why some don't don't have battery back ups on all there stuff, and yes unplug when away.

Edited by OldPhil, 30 May 2015 - 04:59 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users