Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sporadically unable to switch apps, scroll, mouse click on laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 munxy

munxy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:19 PM

Hello,

Windows 7 64 bit professional

Lenovo ThinkPad T530

Kaspersky 3.0 Pure

Windows Defender

Use Firefox/Chrome

In the past 2 weeks my laptop has suddenly become very frustrating to use.   It is usable for a seemingly random amount of time, and then invariably some combination of the following will happen:

• Cannot switch to or launch new apps from the start menu and taskbar (mouse just won't click)
  • Cannot alt/tab to switch to a new app
  • Mouse cursor moves but cannot click anything in current app (or)
  • Cannot move mouse cursor but click seems to register (this one happened while I was typing this forum post)
  • Scrolling does not work
  • Cannot right click
  • Mouse moves but moves very slowly and movement is very delayed

Closing the laptop and waiting for it to go to sleep mode and then opening it back up seems to magically fix the problem temporarily, but then inevitably it comes back.  Sometimes within seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes 30 minutes.

There were no new program installs correlating to when this problem happened - but of course several programs update themselves all the time.

I can't find a pattern,  Not sure if this is a software or hardware issue so wanted to check here first before shipping the laptop off which is hard to do because I use it all the time for work.

Any questions? Let me know.

Thanks,

-Willie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 munxy

munxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:34 PM

FWIW,

I followed some of the advice on this entry:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576893/100-cpu-usage-pages-unresponsive/

And ran those programs.  I've been trouble free for several hours now.

So far the computer is also running faster.  I was also battling some slowness issues, but wanted to focus on just being able to use the computer for now.  Perhaps the problem has been solved...

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:27 PM

Hello munxy and welcome to the forum.

Was the problem mainly with just one browser (like Firefox or Chrome), or any online browser you used ??

The list you followed were the basic problem solving items that I or another person would post for you to follow.

The only thing we would have asked was for you to Copy and Paste any logs from the programs you had run so we can see if the problem is removed.

Be sure to install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

• Follow the simple directions to install the program to desktop
  • Right click and choose "Run as administrator" to open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and from the Dashboard please Check for Updates by clicking the Update Now... link
  • Open up Malwarebytes > Settings > Detection and Protection > Enable Scan for rootkit and Under Non Malware Protection set both PUP and PUM to Treat detections as malware.
  • Click on the SCAN button and run a Threat Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware by clicking the Scan Now>> button.
  • If you find malware and tick it to remove it, you may be asked to re-boot the computer to finish cleaning.
  • Once completed please click on the History > Application Logs and find your scan log and open it and then click on the "copy to clipboard" button and post back the results on your next reply.

Keep this program and run it every few days, and keep your Antivirus (Kaspersky) updated .....

I will watch this topic for a few days, and if the problem pops up again, we can take other action, if that is OK with you ..

Regards -

#4 munxy

munxy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:29 AM

Thanks so much for the response.  This reminds me of my days back in late 90's when there was a hardcore Linux community that really thrived on helping.

Now that you mention it, I always have a browser open when I work. I use virtual services like Google Docs.

I did save some log files before I used the programs.  I'll attach those here.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lo5veiweyyxkhop/AADeZNDj1pWNhMnYFp_rGwGha?dl=0

Thanks again.

-Willie

Edited by munxy, 31 May 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:13 AM

Hi -

There was not a great deal of help there, but if you wish to submit a log, then simply Copy and Paste any logs. Much easier for basic logs than Dropbox.

You mayhave removed the problem, or your Antivirus / Antimalware programs may have already done most of it.

The only item listed in your errors is asking for sfc /scannow and checkdisk programs to be run.

Run System File Check from an Elevated Command Prompt
 1. Open Elevated Command Prompt as per directions above.
 2. Type sfc /scannow and press Enter (note the space between c and / it must be there)
 3. (On average).This should not take longer than 20 minutes to finish (unless you have major problems)
 4. NOTE : Do not touch the keyboard while this is running

Run a Disk Check on your Main Hard Drive in Windows:

• Click Start and open Computer
  • Right-click on C: (or your main Hard Drive letter) and select Properties
  • Click on the Tools tab
  • Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
  • Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Click on the Start button
  • When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and RESTART your computer
  • Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

NOTES : This can take from 1 to 2 hours to complete depending on your system, so let it continue at a time that you will not need the computer
Do not Reboot during the scan, as you can (will) lose data from the system.
If this is a laptop, plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries do fail.
Once completed, the computer will reboot back to Normal Mode.

Unless there is a "major problem", these programs will just do their jobs in the background, and settle your system down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users