I have two old XP systems. Each has an Iomega MDHD500-U 465 GB external hard drive for mirror image backup. I'd like to replace them with something larger (1-2 TB) and faster. I have several questions I'd like help with.
- Does it make much difference which brand I choose (Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba, ??? (Did Iomega get bought by Lenovo?))?
- How can I compare the data transfer rates. I have the user manual for my Iomega drives, but I can't find where it says how fast it is. Or is that a function of the USB port?
- I think I have USB 2.0 on these computers, but it might be 1.1. How can I tell for sure?
- If I buy a USB 3 drive, will I have any problems on these old computers?
- Is there any difference in reliability between say a 1TB drive, a 2TB drive, and a 5TB drive?
This one looks like a good choice for me: Western Digital My Passport Ultra 2 TB. It's $85 on Amazon:
There is a similar one from Seagate: Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB Portable External Hard Drive with Mobile Device Backup USB 3.0:
Any preferences between these two? Or any better choices?
Thanks so much. CM