Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most free anti-virus suites now bundle PUPs except Bitdefender Free?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:27 AM

Hi, all!

With interest I have read the Emsisoft Blog article about free anti-virus vendors that bundle PUPs with them. Here, 7 out of 8 tested free antivirus suites bundle with PUPs. A bit further down the article, an important fact is stated, and I quote:

...Bitdefender Free is one of the only clean antivirus vendors that does not come with any PUPs.

I therefore would like to know: Which more free anti-virus suites than Bitdefender Free do not bundle PUPs?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 30 May 2015 - 09:27 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:41 AM

Well, Emsisoft Anti-Malware offers a 30 days trial of their program and doesn't bundle PUPs. Emsisoft doesn't bundle any PUPs at all in fact.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

Free antivirus, Aura... EAM isn't free at all.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:39 AM

It's free for 30 days as a trial, hence why I specified it :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,935 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:58 AM

Hi,

First let me say I'm not affiliated with any AV company.

About Avast free, AFAIK during install it offers the installation of Google Chrome or Dropbox none of this programs is a PUP, the user can uncheck the box to skip the installation but if it misses that, there is no problem he can easily uninstall those programs. The computer with Google Chrome or Dropbox installed isn't infected at all, but I can't say the same with Ask toolbar or other similar offers.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

It's free for 30 days as a trial, hence why I specified it :)

Most paid for products offer 30 day trials so anyone of them could be listed as well.

By default Emsisoft Anti-Malware installs as a free fully functional 30-day trial version with real-time protection. After the trial period expires you can either choose to buy a full version license or continue to use it in limited freeware mode which still allows you to scan and clean infections. The freeware mode no longer provides any real-time protection to guard against new infections. However, at any time during the trial enabled period, you can easily turn off all real time protection and just use it as on-demand scanner only. Once the trial period expires nothing really changes except that the options to activate real-time protection are no longer available without purchasing the full version.

As such, I would only consider it a free on-demand scanner and not a free anti-virus which would continue to protect a system.

I agree with SleepyDude and see nothing wrong with using avast Free.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:25 AM

Hi again, Aura., Alexstrasza, SleepyDude & quietman7!

Thanks to all of you for the prompt and informative replies!

Luckily, Unchecky is a free must-have program that generally can help when installing free anti-virus by unchecking the check-boxes enabled by default for inadvertently installing 3rd party software offers. :thumbup2:

Thank you very much for your help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 01 June 2015 - 04:51 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:28 AM

No problem midimusicman, the pleasure is ours :)

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved and you're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users