Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

On Linux Mint laptop, can't open note pads on the desktop.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:25 AM

On my Linux Mint computer, I have some note pads.  When I click on them, it ask for my password. After entering the password, it then has "Find Software". Does anybody know how to fix that? I want to be able to click on the note pads, and not have to enter the password, or to choose a software to open with.

It's a Dell laptop. Inspiron 1501.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 10:33 AM

Hi Sam,

This sounds like a file ownership and/or permission issue. So that we can see what the current ownership and permission status of the files is, please post the output of the following command.

Swap "yourusername" for your username.

ls -l /home/yourusername/Desktop/

Here is a sample output:

al@my_desktop_pc:~$ ls -l /home/al/Desktop/
total 4
-rw-rw-r-- 1 al al 2 May 30 15:52 temptextfile

If the name of any files in the output, which in the above example is "temptextfile" contain any personal information that you don't want to post on a public forum, it's fine to edit that part of the output to something like:

total 4
-rw-rw-r-- 1 al al 2 May 30 15:52 file1

..because the rest of the output is the part we need to know.

Edited by Al1000, 30 May 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#3 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:15 PM

Do I click on home, onthe desktop? Where do I put the words at?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

Type the command in a terminal:

ls -l /home/yourusername/Desktop/
Swap "yourusername" for your username.

#5 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:19 PM

Ok I got it now. Here are the results.

total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 usernamet adm       57 May 27 06:39 Links, passwords, and things..txt -> /media/username/3CCE-FD2F/Links, passwords, and things..txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 username  154 May 30 09:17 Links, passwords, and things..txt.tar.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1username    40 May 27 06:58 Modemrouter..txt -> /media/username/3CCE-FD2F/Modemrouter..txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1username 11460 Jan 24  2014 tomboy.desktop

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:16 AM

Sam, good to see you here & learning, hope to see you get really good at running Linux Mint.

You won't regret the change, especially after you get used to things & see all of the time Linux Mint saves you. No virus & malware scans to run, no defrag needed, the one thing you'll need to learn is backup, yet that's no big deal, as long as you have some type of backup drive (doesn't have to be overly large) that can be formatted to ext4. Doesn't have to be the whole drive if large, just partition some off as needed. We'll cover that for you, once you have things setup the way you want it & most certainly before you go on that trip. 

One thing I seen in you in your first Topic, it was 20 pages long, so I figured you were going to be one who stuck with us. As time goes by, the things that seems hard today will become native. 

Keep up the great work Sam, persistence pays off huge! :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:16 AM

Ok I got it now. Here are the results.

It looks like you edited the username part of the output. We need to know what the username part of the output says, to determine what user owns the files.

See the part in bold below? There are two usernames there. Both usernames are al

total 4
-rw-rw-r-- 1 al al 2 May 30 15:52 temptextfile

That is what I need to see in the output of the command.

Could you please run the command and post the output again, leaving the usernames intact?

#8 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:27 AM

Ok, I ran it again. Here are the results.

total 16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 robert adm       57 May 27 06:39 Links, passwords, and things..txt -> /media/robert/3CCE-FD2F/Links, passwords, and things..txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 robert robert   154 May 30 09:17 Links, passwords, and things..txt.tar.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 robert robert    40 May 27 06:58 Modemrouter..txt -> /media/robert/3CCE-FD2F/Modemrouter..txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 robert robert 11460 Jan 24  2014 tomboy.desktop

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:47 AM

There's no problem with the usernames.

Two of these results:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 usernamet adm       57 May 27 06:39 Links, passwords, and things..txt -> /media/username/3CCE-FD2F/Links, passwords, and things..txt

lrwxrwxrwx 1 robert robert    40 May 27 06:58 Modemrouter..txt -> /media/robert/3CCE-FD2F/Modemrouter..txt

... are desktop links to files that are stored on another partition. The partition they are stored on is called 3CCE-FD2F.

The problem might be that the partition 3CCE-FD2F is not mounted, when you click on the desktop links.

Open your file manager, and click on 3CCE-FD2F in the list on the left to mount the partition.

Now try clicking on the desktop links again.

What happens?

EDIT: It's just occurred to me that 3CCE-FD2F might be a USB flash drive. If you tried to transfer the files from a USB flash drive to the computer, it looks like they are still on the USB flash drive, and instead of transferring the files you have created shortcuts to them.

Edited by Al1000, 31 May 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#10 Sam Gunn

Sam Gunn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

I will look at the laptop some more on Monday. Today I downloaded IE 8 on there. I plan to use IE on news websites that refresh over, and over. Will use Firefox, or Chromium to look at videos.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:36 PM

Sam, did you install WINE? 

I take it that you did, as it's the only way to get IE on a Linux OS. 

You need to install some type of Windows AV within WINE, if that's possible. It's an Windows emulator, not a virtual machine, so I'd presume that one can install much anything that one can on Windows, with some limitations. Some has installed Office 2007/2010 via WINE. 

That's why you need to secure the environment as well as possible, and use it just for what's needed. Actually you can check out Firefox & Google Chrome (has all plug-ins needed & kept up to date, Chromium requires setup of these) on your native Linux desktop. Here'e the link to Google Chrome for Linux, just download the 32 bit .deb version (top option, which matches yours). You'll have to provide your password to install & let the process finish, takes just a couple of minutes. 

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/

Afterwards, Google Chrome will be kept up to date along with the rest of your OS's software. See, you're saving time already, and as an added benefit, will always have the latest Flash & HTML5 plugins needed for Chrome, unfortunately, this isn't available for Firefox, Flash is several major versions behind & dozens of sub-versions. 

To have two extra browsers that will be kept up to date, Opera's an option also, and uses the same Flash that Google Chrome does, nothing to configure. 

Any concerns, just let us know. 

Have Fun! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 June 2015 - 03:11 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,997 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:01 AM

Sam, just try to Right Click on file>Permissions>choose>Owner>"Can view and Modify Content", or something to that effect to give yourself access.  Group and Others should be "Can View Content" at least in my mintkde install.

Did you try what I said before?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:16 AM

I plan to use IE on news websites that refresh over, and over.

IE on Linux? Kill me now.

You could try this.

How to Allow Web Pages to Auto-refresh or Reload in Firefox

or

Auto Refresh :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons

IE on Linux :smash:

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:56 AM

IE on Linux? Kill me now.

+1! :thumbup2:

Why in the world would the majority of us who has turned to Linux for superior security even consider using IE? Even most Windows users doesn't use the browser, except for work & school. It's the most insecure browser in the world among the top currently supported browsers. If the majority of Windows users doesn't trust the browser, we sure shouldn't. Oh, and Microsoft are doing all they can to ensure that IE will be not used (or seldom) with Windows 10 that should ship soon. 

IE on Linux  :smash:

:smash:

Makes two of us! :hysterical:

Cat

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:11 AM

Sam, just try to Right Click on file>Permissions>choose>Owner>"Can view and Modify Content", or something to that effect to give yourself access. Group and Others should be "Can View Content" at least in my mintkde install.

It's not a permissions issue. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th characters of the permissions part of the output (rwx) tell us that the owner has permission to read, write and execute the files. The owner part of the output (robert robert) tells us that the owner is not root.

The first character of the permissions part of the output (lower case L) tells us that the desktop icons are links to the files, and not the actual files.

This part of the output:

-> /media/username/3CCE-FD2F/
...tells us that the files are on a partition called 3CCE-FD2F, which I suspect may be a USB flash drive.

Edited by Al1000, 01 June 2015 - 04:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users