Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely Strange Behavior with External Hard Disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frenzynator

frenzynator

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hey guys, would really appreciate any help with this, it has turned into a real head scratcher.

About two days ago, I realized I couldn't copy any new files off of my external hard drive. By new files I mean files that were added approximately 4 weeks ago and newer. I can't play any of these files on my TV either using the external HDD port. However, when attached to a computer, I can play these files. I can still add any files to the hard drive, but copying the files off the drive is the problem.

However, the reason why this is strange is that files that are older than that (were added to the hard disk more than 4 weeks ago), can easily be copied off the hard drive. They could also be played on the TV.

I decided reformatting the hard drive (the long way, not a quick format) would be able to help. So I saved all files that I wanted to keep that were old (did not have any issues copying these, and I saved more than 100 GB of data) and did a format. However, the problem persists, I can copy files onto the hard disk, but cannot copy the new files that I add off of the hard disk. 

Any help would be appreciated. Are there any diagnostics tools that I can use to try to identify the problem, and possibly fix it?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: Thought I'd also add, this problem isn't contained to my laptop (running windows 8.1) and TV. I've tried copying files to two other computers (one Windows 7, and one Windows XP) and face the same problem.

Edited by frenzynator, 30 May 2015 - 07:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

How large is the drive?  What file system are you formatting the drive? (NTFS is my guess).

Are any of the files you are storing 4GB or larger?

#3 frenzynator

frenzynator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:02 AM

Hadn't realized those details would also be important. 

The drive is 500 GB in size. It is formatted NTFS, and there are some files which are larger than 4 GB (Or were, not anymore since I reformatted it in an attempt to fix it, though the problem persists).

#4 frenzynator

frenzynator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

So I tried reformatting the external hard drive to exFAT format, and tried copying something to and off the drive.

I was finally able to copy something off the drive, but the speed is strange. It varies from 50 mbps to 2 mbps. I've attached the graph that Windows 8.1 shows while copying something.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users