Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad IDE Connection caused Reallocated Sectors in SMART? External HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:28 AM

Hello Everyone, :)

I would appreciate your experience / knowledge on this matter. I have googled around and cannot find a definitive answer.

I am in a state of conflict with myself, and cannot decide what to believe! :)

Ok, so I'll start with the facts I am seeing. :)

I started a HD Tune 2.55 scan on said external HDD, in its original enclosure. No bad sectors were found, all was ok. In SMART RAW value was 0. So prior to this no sectors had been reallocated.

My main issue was with the enclosure, it was exceptionally hot, with no fans and was burning hot to touch. So I decided to remove the IDE HDD and move it into a better enclosure.

The enclosure itself was pretty tricky to take apart. Firstly the HDD had to be unscrewed from the bottom of the enclosure. This meant that in the process of removing the front panel. It did take a few knocks on the sides of the enclosure. I wouldn't say they were heavy blows, as it was quite tightly packed into the enclosure. I did hear it hitting against the metal though.

When I removed the drive, no physical damage was at all obvious - not even scratches. I do know of course HDD's are quite fragile, and it doesn't take a lot for bad sectors to occur.

Anyway, I then placed it in a box - loose and left it for the next day.

When I plugged it into the new enclosure, it was quite tricky to get the IDE cable ligned up correctly, due to how compact things were in there. I do have problems with co-ordination so this makes it more difficult for me, than it will for others.

As a result of this, the HDD showed up in HDD Sentinel but with no capacity and a ? below it.

When opening up in Disk Management, Windows want to initialize the disk. Which I of course didn't do. :)

I then decided to make sure the IDE cable was fitted correctly, and after some effort, I managed to get it seated correctly. I don't believe initially the connection was good, and may not have aligned with all the pins correctly.

I then plugged the HDD into the computer again, and all showed up correctly. However, the following SMART errors are now reported...

Power on hours: 12 hours

Ultra CRC DMA Count - 1

Reallocated Sectors - 185

Hard Disk Health (According to HDD Sential is now only 25%)

With the Ultra CRC DMA Count being at 1. It would suggest that indeed the IDE Cable wasn't correctly fitted, after a period of time. With no errors occuring this then should resort back to 0. I think it's different per drive? But it's something like a 24 - 72 hour period window.

Keeping in mind all that I have said, I am very interested to hear your thoughts. Running a surface scan using HDD Sentinel doesn't show any further bad sectors, but of course SMART has already reallocated the ones it believes are 'bad'.

Thanks in advance!

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Apologies if bumping threads is not allowed. I did read the forum rules, and didn't see it mentioned in there.

If you have nothing to add, thanks for reading anyway. :)

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,288 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:46 PM

I have one IDE connected hard drive in my computer, it's just a spare that was lying around that I installed Linux on to familiarise myself with, but you have made me fire up Speccy to have a look at its attributes.

Power on  :  1004 days 13 hours

UltraDMA CRC error count :  138

Re-allocated sectors :  Real value 0, Current value 200

All SMART characteristics status = GOOD

I don't think the movement inside the enclosure when you took it out would have done notable damage - how far could it have fallen, a few millimetres ?  I would be concerned about the temperature it was operating at. You say burning hot. It is generally considered that hard drives should not exceed 50oC and 'burning hot' suggests it probably did.

Most IDE connectors will only go into a drive one way, but I have occasionally come across some that will go in both ways.

I am not familiar with the HDD Sential testware but if it suggests that the health is only 25% I think your best course of action is to recover all the data you can off this drive as a priority before you try any more tests or repairs on the drive. It may be that your best course of action is to write this drive off and replace it with another - once you have recovered the data off it.

I am sorry that your topic got missed earlier, I certainly didn't see it, and after three weeks don't worry about 'bumping'. There are no hard and fast rules on BC about bumping so long as people remember that this is a truly international forum with members scattered all round the world and you have to give people a chance to see your topic. But after three weeks - definitely not a problem !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:59 AM

Hello dancemat, 

Bad sectors can be caused by physical damage. The hard drive may have had a manufacturing error, natural wear may have worn part of the hard drive down, the drive may have been dropped, causing the hard drive’s head to touch the platter and damage some of the sectors, some air may have entered the sealed area of the hard drive and the dust may have damaged the drive — there are many possible causes.
In your case, I'd say it's entirely possible that the head did touch the platters at some point. Sadly, for 185 bad sectors to occur at once, this is pretty much the only option. If that's the case, they might as well continue to grow until the drive is rendered non-working. Bad IDE connection will cause other types of errors, (such as Ultra CRC DMA Count ) but this is not critical. 

I would recommend to backup all data if still available, and replace the drive if you need to keep it for anything else than music, movies and/or experimenting. Best regards, Citizen_WD

#5 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

Thank you both for replying. :)

I have replaced the drive now for my Stepdad. All the data was copied over successfully.

I would say the IDE wasn't pushed in as far as it should've been. The hard drive did make several loud struggling noises, accessing sectors.

Once I'd pushed the IDE cable in more firmly. This went away.

Either way a 185 bad sectors isn't acceptable. Just very curious to the cause.

Thanks for your input. :)

I won't leave it as long as three weeks next time if I need to bump. But as it was my first time, didn't want to look impatient.

P.S. Chris, would appear your IDE drive has been having some connection / cabling issues? It's quite a high Ultra DMA CRC count you have there.

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users