Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC with no other problems and with large professional heat-sink hangs/freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrWakiGuy

MrWakiGuy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:47 AM

Hi there, 

I'm having a big problem with my PC. 
Specs are as follows:

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z

Corsair CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (Only one stick as I had to take the other out to make space for the massive CPU cooler, but I ran a 15 hour MemTest86 and it's all okay).

XFX Radeon R9 290 DD Edition Graphics Card (4GB, GDDR5)

Corsair 80 Plus Gold 1000W

Samsung 840 EVO 250GB + 1TB WB Black HDD

Phanteks PH-TC14PE CPU Cooler

AMD FX-9590 Black Edition Octa Core 4.71GHz

My problems is that my computer (or at least the screen) becomes unresponsive. At first I thought it was random, and I had my speculations it could be something to do with my CPU cooler, but now it happens a short while after I render something complicated in Cinema 4D and my CPU gets to 100% (all 8 cores). I don't know if it's CPU related, I am checking core temps when rendering and I haven't found a problem so far.

The rendering goes amazing, about a frame every 30 seconds which is incredible, it can take people even with very good computers at least 6 minutes a frame with something this complicated (with worse CPUs), but between rendering the 9th and 25th frame the screen completely freezes. It doesn't go blank, it's like a screenshot, and the computer doesn't turn off or reboot, all the fans keep turning etc. 
I'm pretty sure it isn't an issue with the PC going to sleep (some people said it could be) because I've changed the power settings so nothing ever turns off (screen, HDD, Keyboard, ETC), also my keyboard and mouse are both L.E.D lit, so I would notice if they got disconnected. 

Although it isn't the best of motherboards, it seems to be running fine. This one is actually a replacement that Amazon sent me, because the first one had a faulty iROG, and I couldn't boot (could be a similar issue).

Also, the motherboard fault code L.E.D display doesn't show any error codes when this happens and the only thing the event viewer picks up is me turning off the computer when it freezes (Event 41, Power-Kernal).

Edit: Idle temp between 16 and 22 degrees Celsius, rendering 41-50.

I really hope you can help! It's driving me absolutely crazy! 

All the best.

Edited by MrWakiGuy, 30 May 2015 - 06:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:13 AM

Let's have a look at this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Also, please provide this information even though you're not having BSOD's -  so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 MrWakiGuy

MrWakiGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 06:34 AM

Okay no problem, here that all is (I think). And by the way, you don't have to run CMD to make a PERFMON report, you can type "PERFMON /REPORT" straight into the search bar in the start menu, and if need be you can even rick click to run as Administrator.

It makes it a little bit simpler than opening CMD like instructed in the BSOD Posting Instructions. :)

· OS - Windows 7 Ultimate.
· X64 bit.
· original  OS on system: Windows 10.
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer): Neither, bought straight from Microsoft and installed myself.
· Age of system (hardware): 2 months/ish.
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS 1.5 months.

· CPU: AMD- 9590 4.71GHz 8 cores.
· Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 DD Edition 4GB

· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop): Asus Croshair V Formula Z.
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop): Corsair Gold 1000Wat

· System Manufacturer: Myself.
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) Version 1.5. ;)

· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop.

Attached Files

Edited by MrWakiGuy, 31 May 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#4 MrWakiGuy

MrWakiGuy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:55 AM

Also although the board originally only supported processors up to 140w, that was apparently just because of unfinished testing. The latest bios update supports my specific CPU at 220w.

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards.../HelpDesk_CPU/ (Do CTR+F and 9590).

But it still says "Due to the high TDP, please be noted there are limitations while using this CPU(i.e. special thermal required..)"

Do you think this could be causing the issue?

Edited by MrWakiGuy, 31 May 2015 - 11:34 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:05 AM

First, download a fresh copy of the Intel wired LAN software

Then, try uninstalling your Intel wired LAN software/driver

If needed, install the freshly downloaded copy.

Then test for further freezes

Here's the pattern that I saw in the Admin log:

Service Control Manager - error - CDROM driver fails to load
WMI - unknown error
e1qexpress - warning
Then a pause.....
Winiit - warning - multiple DLL's being loaded (this isn't really a concern in and of itself - but it's a sign that something isn't working correctly.
Then the system freezes and you have to hold down the power button to restart it (that's the Event ID 41 error)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users