Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

From XP to 7...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:07 AM

Hello,

I have a laptop with lots of free space...The OS is a pirated Windows XP which my local computer repair person installed. I do not like pirated stuff at all even if it is for free and I am keen to get windows 7 on it, the original genuine one of course.So,

1. Where can I get genuine windows 7 from?(I mean which website should I trust for buying 7?)
  2. Which version is suitable for me?(I have gone through the versions and have decided not to get ultimate as it is too expensive for me but I do not know the facilities and limitations of any version)
  3. The laptop has quite a lot of files...So it would be better if I could keep those files without backing them up. But if need arises, I can also get them off that laptop...

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thanks

RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

Hi RJNB :)

You can buy a Windows 7 product from pretty much every trusted websites like Amazon, eBay, Newegg, NCIX, etc. Just look for the lowest price (or the one with the price that suits you the most) and buy it.

I guess you mean "edition"? If so, just look at the comparison array below, and decides which features you need, then go with the edition that offers them. Home users don't need more than Windows 7 Professional if you ask me, and even for a lot of them, Home Premium will be enough.

https://www.microsoft.com/canada/windows/business/windows-version-comparison-chart.aspx

It's always possible to partition your current hard drive, move the files you want to keep on that partition and during the Windows installation, simply select a "Custom" installation, wipe the partition that have only Windows XP and the programs on it to install Windows 7 on it. This way, you'll have all your files stored on the other partition, ready to be used after.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

The full version might cost a bit like $50-$100, however there is no free full versions of Windows 7 do not torrent because it contain viruses, trojans, and most likely (PUP'S) Potentially Unwanted Programs which can wreck your PC. Alas though mydigitalcontent is down so you cannot get versions of it anymore, unless you have a Windows 7 License key.

Regards Robert

Edited by RobertHD, 30 May 2015 - 12:51 AM.

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:53 AM

Even if the RiverDigitalContent (not MyDigitalContent) .iso were still available for download, he would still need a legitimate product key to activate them, so it would have made no difference. Also, you can only download a Windows 7 .iso for your product key on Microsoft's website, if you have a retail product key, not an OEM one. In which case, you'll need to ask your manufacturer for a set of installation/recovery disc, USB or .iso.

Also, there's no "full version" of Windows 7, only editions.

Edited by Aura., 30 May 2015 - 12:53 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users