Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help figuring out what is fried?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 MrMcShroom

MrMcShroom

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:53 PM

Hey guys, I got a Dell Latitude E6410 Laptop from my school today, and as soon as I got home, I got to customizing it. I've hit an issue (Hence this post.) I was wondering if you could help

So here is what went down since I have received it

1. Opened it up, switched hard drive to a 300gb hard drive I had laying around as opposed to the 250gb I had in there

2. Reimaged it with a bootable flashdrive with a precracked Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit iso burned to it.  Note: It took less than 20 minutes for this process to go down.

After this, it said the boot file was corrupted. I then reburned the iso to the flashdrive and attempted to do it again, same OS, but I had burned the OS to it about a month ago, just did it again.  Note: It took less than 20 minutes for this process to go down

4. After success, got google chrome, got Dell System detect, and installed necessary drivers except a couple of BIOS updates.

5. Installed Rainmeter and customized it

6. Tried to install Windows Office 2013 off of the flashdrive (I reformatted it and tried to install) Everything from that point on was complete bleep. After about 20 minutes, I held the power button for 5 seconds and turned it off.

7. Booted up again, windows explorer was lagging like crazy, rainmeter would not startup, and it took about 3 minutes to detect and open the window for my flashdrive.

Thoughts:

Need a x86 build? [Possible, not likely, has 4gb of ram, and an i5 (Not sure what exact i5).
Switch harddrives again? [Possible, but doesn't account for the 5 minutes it took to load that flashdrive autoplay window.

Processor is fried? [Possible, but doesn't explain how I was able to reimage the entire PC so quickly.

RAM? [Possible, not sure.

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated. First I am going to try the hard drive that was originally in it. Thanks :)

Edited by hamluis, 31 May 2015 - 05:35 PM.
Edited for readability - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:18 PM

Of course, go back to the original drive.  If that works, the 300GB drive is defective, evidenced by the failed initial load attempt.

#3 MrMcShroom

MrMcShroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:23 PM

Of course, go back to the original drive.  If that works, the 300GB drive is defective, evidenced by the failed initial load attempt.

Yes, I ave done so, and reimaged. Everything seems to be working properly, but I am waiting for something to go wrong, because it's exactly how it was last time (Things only went to crap when I tried installing a big program off my flashdrive.)  Was getting a bit of lag, but I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

Edit: I also ran a diagnostics check and everything passed, I didn' run the full test, but apparently my processor is good.

I am installing drivers and running a system error check that Dell has provided some program for and I'll get back to you soon.

Edited by MrMcShroom, 29 May 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

Precracked Windows 7 Ultimate iso is probably your problem but we cant help here with cracked software, sorry.

#5 MrMcShroom

MrMcShroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Precracked Windows 7 Ultimate iso is probably your problem but we cant help here with cracked software, sorry.

Definitely not the problem man, I'm running the same OS on 4 different computers, and have been using the same .iso for 4 years.

#6 MrMcShroom

MrMcShroom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

Fixed, it did turn out to be hard drive. Thanks for reading anyways :P

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Regardless of your success with illegal installs...the statement by QQQQ applies.  Moot point on this topic, since you seem to have resolved your situation...but be aware that you have future4 problems involving illegal software...we won't be able to assist you in seeking a solution.  Applicable excerpt from Forum Rules:

"No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."