Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LXLE - No Video

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Hi following on from recommendations made I am in the process of trying out various Linux Distros with the one maor requirement, it works out of the box with a Dell Inspiron 1501 and LXLE it was suggested would.

So I downloaded the ISO, checked the MD5 and burned a disc and I have just tried it, The grub menu came up with the various options followed by a grey screen whith a flashing white dash and then the screen went black with thin coloured lines running vertically through the black with white on the left hand side of which I take to mean no video,- I tried this three times with the same result.

I take it the live OS loaded as there was a welcome tone and the optical drive had stopped spinning, also the wifi light came on possibly indicating LXLE does indeed work with the Inspiron 1501 as far as Wifi is concened, but no use without video

Which LXLE, the latest, LXLE 12.04.5 32 bit

So the next plan was to join their forums and ask about the failed video, but I couldn't apply for membership as I need an invitation code and a users name, like wtf, so no go there.

Has anyone any suggestions on either the reported LXLE fault above or the membership application for the LXLE support?

Next one I am trying is Manjaro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:06 PM

Hi Habesque :welcome:  To BC and the Linux section.

Just to be sure, Is this your PC?

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/dell-inspiron-1501-review/

How much ram do you have?

#3 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:35 PM

Yes, that's the beasty where I have a speccy report on it ;

Operating System : Win XP Home 32 bit SP3
CPU Name : Mobile AMD Sempron 5000+ 90 nm Technology.
CPU Specification : ( AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor TK-53 )
RAM : 2.00 GB Single Channel DDR2 @ 242 MHz ( 4-4-4-12)
Motherboard : Dell Inc. OUW744 ( Socket M2/S1G1 ).
Motherboard Chipset : ATI Xpress 200 ( RS480 )
Graphics : ATI Radeon Express 1150
Storage : 111GB Western Digital WDC WD1200BEVS-75USTO ( SATA), WD Scorpio
Optical Drive : HL-DT-ST DRD+-RW GSA-T11N
Audio : SigmaTel High Definition Audio Codec
Network LAN : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport.
Network WIFI : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card - Packet Scheduler Miniport

So yeah, 2gb of Ram... should be enough for LXLE?

A Mint 17.1  and the latest Ubuntu live disc runs on it with no problems except no wifi, hence why I am looking at distros that work out of the box with wifi as I am a beginner with Linux.

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 11:08 PM

Have you tried a 32-bit version of Zorin? I have an older laptop that has 2 gigs of Ram and it runs great on it Its a Dell Inspiron 6000.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:38 AM

Did you try to boot in Compatibility Mode?  I don't have my disc with me so can't take a look.  You will have to do some work to grub maybe to get it working and then maybe even a driver install.  This will probably be an issue with most distro's.  Have you been following Sam's thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573568/trying-to-get-ubuntu-on-windows-xp-laptop/ as he has a very similar laptop.  It might work even better with the graphics but a simple b43-firmware install with get the wireless working.

We might be taking care of this issue with Sam very soon so it will be a good time to get in on that thread.  xfce17.1-32bit is a bit better imo than LXLE, but as I am one of the members who suggested it either way is fine.  Won't hurt to pop it in and test it out.  One thing I noticed is that it has an expandable Menu.  While this seems a simple thing, it is important to me.  LXLE has really cool hidden Toolbars, which I really liked.  Either way I'll be watching to see what you do.

Maybe this will help ya for now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1584780

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

A Mint 17.1 and the latest Ubuntu live disc runs on it with no problems except no wifi, hence why I am looking at distros that work out of the box with wifi as I am a beginner with Linux.

I look on the fact that most Linux distros work out of the box on most computers, as something of a bonus, rather than something that should be expected. Unlike Windows, with which you have to install a bunch of hardware drivers after installing the operating system before the computer will work properly, Linux operating systems include many drivers for different hardware components so that they do work out of the box on most computers. But they by no means contain drivers for every single computer component that's ever been manufactured, so it is sometimes necessary to install drivers for some hardware components in Linux too.

When you build a custom desktop pc you usually get a CD with the motherboard with its drivers, a CD with the graphics card with its drivers, and so on. These CDs often contain Linux drivers as well as Windows drivers, but it's always a good idea to download updated drivers and use them instead of the ones on the CDs regardless of operating system.

So if you don't have any luck with finding a distro on which everything works out of the box, I suggest your best course of action is to choose a distro on which everything expect wifi works, install it, then install the appropriate driver for your wifi card.

#7 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 12:35 PM

Did you try to boot in Compatibility Mode?  I don't have my disc with me so can't take a look.  You will have to do some work to grub maybe to get it working and then maybe even a driver install.  This will probably be an issue with most distro's.  Have you been following Sam's thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573568/trying-to-get-ubuntu-on-windows-xp-laptop/ as he has a very similar laptop.  It might work even better with the graphics but a simple b43-firmware install with get the wireless working.

We might be taking care of this issue with Sam very soon so it will be a good time to get in on that thread.  xfce17.1-32bit is a bit better imo than LXLE, but as I am one of the members who suggested it either way is fine.  Won't hurt to pop it in and test it out.  One thing I noticed is that it has an expandable Menu.  While this seems a simple thing, it is important to me.  LXLE has really cool hidden Toolbars, which I really liked.  Either way I'll be watching to see what you do.

Maybe this will help ya for now: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1584780

Compatibility mode like what, what's that ?

I just tried to load what was at the top of the screen of which I presume is the normal OS, but was impressed the grub functions worked on LXLE in that I could select different headings, but more of that later (*) as that is a seperate issue on another machine, this one in fact of which is online via a Mint Rebecca live disc, myself being in much the same position as the linked Sam Gun, a desktop that is sort of working albeit via live disc and ethernet connection and having a Dell Inspiron 1501 I would like to initially dual boot with Linux and XP as I need XP to run the only Windows program of interest to me; Photoshop and yeah like the OP in that thread I am also skint hence ancient computers.

Ideally I would like to be running Mint Cinnamon as I preferred that one from the plethora of Live discs I have been collecting, but went the LXLE route on the Dell 1501 because of the wifi issue with the Dell 1501 of which reading the linked thread, you have come across on Sam Gun's Dell 1501

If there is a clear procedure to get a Dell 1501 working with Mint Cinnamon on wifi I will take that route but I hesitate only because I am not even a geek noob, I am an ex Windows XP user where I don't go anywhere near the nuts and bolts of operating systems, read clueless. The Dell 1501 is both my back up computer in case the desktop goes down and my going away machine where I need it for my photography and  general online browsing also uploading of imagery to various places kind of use.

(*) Now the issue mentioned with the desktop of which I will start a new thread for, but will mention here so as to qualify what I said above;

I installed first Mint Petra as a dual boot with Win 7 as Win 7 had no sound and wouldn't play videos and was on a MAK license so no online help, but contary to what I was told when I had installed Petra the grub menu didn't work, I could not select either operating system, in fact I had no control of the grub menu up/down cursors didn't work so Petra loaded every time. I put up with this for a while but needed information off the Windows side of the computer, so joined a Mint forum and reported the issue to be told Petra is out of date and I should load Rebecca XFCE which I did and lo and behold through Rebecca I could access my information on the Windows side and so did, but I still had the same problem with the grub in that I could not select either Win7 or Petra of which is still on the machine and so Rebecca loaded every time until Rebecca failed, first it stopped recognising my pass word and then later got no further than the grub where nothing loads forcing me to use a Live disc to be online now on that machine. I have considered to just wipe the lot and load Mint Cinnamon but again, there is info in Rebecca I need off before I can do that and to say, given the grub issues my confidence is knocked somewhat.

The big question for myself now is what machine needs fixing first the primary computer, the desktop with the ethernet connection or the secondary mobile computer, the Dell 1501 with the Broadcom WIFI issue, bearing in mind though XP is no longer supported and quite possibly wide open to attack, it still works and works better than the Win 7 did on the desktop.

Any suggestions as I am somewhat confused and heading for despair, where I do understand that mentioned elsewhere the possibility of people wandering back to Windows becasue they can't get Linux working and the online help is too geek as even I have been looking into finding a Win Vista OS disc to attempt to fix the desktop given the Desktop was designed to work on Win Vista.

And believe it I have always disliked Windows and it's magnetism for online attack, so much so I went Mac once until I destroyed that machine with a glass of wine, so back to Windows and now what I have always wanted to try; Linux as I admire the ethos.

Edited by Habesque, 30 May 2015 - 12:41 PM.

#8 Habesque

Habesque
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

Oh and I have just tried the Dell 1501 on the LXLE live disc in Xforcevesa ( 2nd Option in the grub) and the OS loaded and what's more it detected the WIFI signal straight away with no messing around, whereby I entered my wireless key and went straight online and tried out some of my normal websites with no problems whatsoever. So LXLE works with the Dell Inspiron 1501 out of the box at least in Xforcevesa mode. Oh yeah and despite the limitations of an optical drive it is fast and with it quite pretty.

Why can't Mint be like that  in terms of the Wifi ?

But if I load LXLE onto the Dell 1501 will it load in the Xforcevesa mode or will it load in what doesn't work on my machine ?

#9 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,054 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

Oh and I have just tried the Dell 1501 on the LXLE live disc in Xforcevesa ( 2nd Option in the grub) and the OS loaded and what's more it detected the WIFI signal straight away with no messing around, whereby I entered my wireless key and went straight online and tried out some of my normal websites with no problems whatsoever.

Good stuff!

Why can't Mint be like that in terms of the Wifi ?

LXLE contains more drivers for older hardware than Mint does.

But if I load LXLE onto the Dell 1501 will it load in the Xforcevesa mode or will it load in what doesn't work on my machine ?

Once LXLE is installed, you can edit the boot parameters to include xforcevesa so that it will always boot in xforcevesa mode. To do so:

1) Open File Manager (under Accessories in the menu)
2) Press the "Up" button twice to get to /
3) Scroll down until you see a directory called etc. Open it.
3) Scroll down in etc until you see a directory called default. Open it.
4) Scroll down in default until you see a file called grub
5) Right click on the grub file and select "Open as Root." Enter your password at the prompt.
6) Change the line of text that says:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash xforcevesa"
7) Save and exit the text editor.
8) Then open a terminal and type:
sudo update-grub
Enter your password at the prompt (you won't see any feedback in the terminal when you type your password) and press enter on your keyboard. You should then see some text scroll down the terminal as a new configuration file is generated. When you are returned to the command prompt, that's it done.

To boot the computer in xforce vesa mode after installing LXLE, but before editing the /etc/default/grub file, press "e" on your keyboard at the grub boot menu. Then scroll down the text using the arrow keys on your keyboard until you see where it says quiet splash. Type xforcevesa just after quiet splash - same as it looks in the /etc/default/grub file.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:57 AM

Ideally I would like to be running Mint Cinnamon as I preferred that one from the plethora of Live discs I have been collecting, but went the LXLE route on the Dell 1501 because of the wifi issue with the Dell 1501 of which reading the linked thread, you have come across on Sam Gun's Dell 1501

If there is a clear procedure to get a Dell 1501 working with Mint Cinnamon on wifi I will take that route but I hesitate only because I am not even a geek noob, I am an ex Windows XP user where I don't go anywhere near the nuts and bolts of operating systems, read clueless. The Dell 1501 is both my back up computer in case the desktop goes down and my going away machine where I need it for my photography and  general online browsing also uploading of imagery to various places kind of use.

Very glad to hear that you are having success and fun with linux!  LXLE is really nice, Mint also, run them both and decide which one you want.

I think Cinnamon is going to be to much for your machine, you should follow what we have done with Sam.  You can install wifi the same way we did there. 

How did Cinnamon run on the 1501? and yes we can get the wifi working if that is what you want.  You could also try Cinnamon13 but xfce17.1 will be better me thinks.  The 17.1 version is newer and probably provides newer goodies that will make it better in the long run, and you could step up to Mate17.1 if you wish.

You might have to use the xforcevesa in mint also I forget, the only difference is the wifi will need installing.  Mint has Compatibility Mode, and that might set-up the xforcevesa for you I don't know.  You can install wifi in Mint by using #1 and #2 at this page: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/379  You might need to re-boot.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,252 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:10 AM

Habesque  You might want to start another thread like "LXLE Install" or something, before we get into your dual boot install.  Maybe even "Dual Boot XP with LXLE" or something like that.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,713 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:31 AM

Habesque  You might want to start another thread like "LXLE Install" or something, before we get into your dual boot install.  Maybe even "Dual Boot XP with LXLE" or something like that.

Great Idea PC.

Ideally I would like to be running Mint Cinnamon as I preferred that one from the plethora of Live discs I have been collecting

If Mint Cinnamon is what you prefer then that is what you shall have, and we will do our best to assist you.

I tend to experiment with that sort of thing using a live disk, If I can get it to work on Live disk , It will work installed. I find it useful to write the steps down on paper just in case and if it works you already have notes.

Hope you enjoy Linux.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:03 AM

Habesque, hello &  :welcome: to BC Forums! 

We're happy to have you here. :)

Glad that you done some reading, as Linux Mint is indeed tricky to get installed when running a Broadcom wireless card, though oddly, the same brand of Ethernet works fine, does for me to this day. 

We can get Linux Mint 17.1 on there for you & hopefully avoid a 20 page Topic in doing so, though we'll go the distance, as we did with Sam, to assist. Hopefully you have one item out of the way, having a network created already, and knowing how to create media, of which the latter is simple. Much of what we need to do may be covered in Sam's topic, pcpunk showed near the end how to get the Broadcom wireless going w/out all of the extra work, hopefully the same will work on your system. 

At any rate, we're here for you & won't be satisfied until you are. :)

Finally, keep in mind that we all were in the same spot as you are today, newbies ourselves. Some of us didn't have the luxury as you of having a friendly, family oriented forum to turn to for assistance, rather 'dedicated' Linux forums who bashed those who were running Windows, and expected us to get it off of our computers (or learn Linux in a week). Though am a 6 year Linux Mint user, have less than 60 posts to my name on their forum, and a third of these were because I was asked to post an opinion by PM. 

We too, are a dedicated Linux forum, or a section of a larger one, and we just don't tolerate the junk that goes on elsewhere. So you won't hear any bashing of you needing to run XP while you're in the learning process, or for that matter, once you've learned enough to get on you own, which for the most part, is being able to use a browser, your favorite apps, and the computer starts & shuts down the same as with XP. It's just that the names of some apps are different, and for your security, you'll need to enter your password more than on Windows. This is not to nag you, rather for your protection. 

Speaking of which, the first thing you should do, before you update the computer, is open the Terminal & turning on your Firewall & copy/pasting the below command in bold, then press Enter & you'll be prompted to enter your password, you won't see movement, this is normal & for your security. 

sudo ufw enable

Good Luck with your choice of freedom!  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,713 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:08 AM

So you won't hear any bashing of you needing to run XP while you're in the learning process

He wont? Come on Cat can we at least tease him a bit? Can we Pleasssseeeeee?

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:28 AM

Well, I meant not bashing the member, the OS is open for some friendly picking. :thumbup2:

Though I recommend, as soon as one gets their choice of Linux installed, especially XP users, to use the Linux OS more & XP less. That's not because of personal opinion, rather because running an unsupported OS is unsafe. As far as I'm concerned, one can run what they want. 

Did I say that I didn't like Windows 10 either? :grinner:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users