Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ross Ulbricht, the developer of Silk Road, has been sentenced to life in prison

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:30 PM

Ross Ulbricht the founder of the Silk Road online marketplace for illegal drugs was sentenced today by Judge Katherine B. Forrest in New York. Though Ulbricht crimes carried a minimum sentence of 20 years, Judge Katherine B. Forrest in New York sentenced him to a maximum sentence of life in prison.

More information here:

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/silk-road-creator-ross-ulbricht-sentenced-life-prison/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:27 PM

Dealing drugs and hiring hit men.

No sympathy for the guy. He got what he deserved IMO.

Edited by NickAu, 29 May 2015 - 08:30 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:16 AM

That much is true. He knew he did wrong and he paid the price...enough said

they call me te java mayster

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:57 AM

Good they do the right thing. Here if you have money and power you can do like anything. (Which I hate that a lot.)

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 04:00 AM

You are not alone in that aspect, Sirawit.

#6 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:15 AM

Good that another bad guy is down so he should be punished

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#7 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

Wow, have you guys even read anything aside from this article about it? This is such an important case, first in American history and world history to follow. Spend a good chunk of time researching the case and everything involved in the investigation, you will soon realize that this case is setting a precedent for future cases of similar nature.  I've very closely followed this case, Dread Pirate Roberts may not operated a "reputable" service per se, but he didn't actually do anything deserving of life in prison.  Have you EVER in your LIFE, read about a drug dealer on the streets getting life in prison for one of his "customers" overdosing?  I sure haven't, and if you think about it, his service actually helped in the war on drugs.  He provided a place for people who ARE LITERALLY JUST GOING TO KEEP DOING IT, a way to get OFF THE STREETS and PREVENT violence.  This case really goes to show how the war on drugs isn't really a war on drugs, but rather a war on illegally obtained money.  That being said, my heart goes out to the family's of those that fell victim to drug overdoses, but I guarantee you, you're children would most likely still be dead today if not for Silk Road.  The stuff on the streets IS way more dangerous than the stuff that you could get off of Silk Road. 

On the hitman contract thing, it has been determined that this never actually happened, there was no contract and it was a load of BS.  There was also illegally obtained evidence, that when brought up, it was deemed that a warrant was unnecessary because it was on his computer as opposed to his home location being searched.  This stuff might not be a very big deal to you guys right on the surface and directly surrounding Ross Ulbricht, but dig a little bit deeper....  See what's really happening here, and be very weary over what new precedents have been set surrounding this case.  If we as people, don't stand up against this, the future of our privacy is even more at stake.  It's a very frightening reality that the Judge Forrest brought to light through this case, and it really needs to be changed around.  Life in prison should be preserved for murderers, pedophiles and people who commit crimes against women, not for someone who creates a website where ACTUAL freedom existed.  It is so sad that a man like Ross Ulbricht is likely going to be spending his life in prison, he was a very great man despite what you think he is all about because of Silk Road.

#8 ceponatia

ceponatia

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

Good points, Uselesslight. I don't have a great deal of sympathy for him, personally, as he was a criminal regardless of "how bad of a criminal" he was but I do think that his sentence was unjust so in that regard I have issue with it.

#9 Beings

Beings

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:22 PM

Life in prison is quite harsh. I would estimate around 10-15 years but not 20 years minimum. 

Not even drug traffickers get that. 

#10 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:26 AM

Wow, have you guys even read anything aside from this article about it? This is such an important case, first in American history and world history to follow. Spend a good chunk of time researching the case and everything involved in the investigation, you will soon realize that this case is setting a precedent for future cases of similar nature.  I've very closely followed this case, Dread Pirate Roberts may not operated a "reputable" service per se, but he didn't actually do anything deserving of life in prison.  Have you EVER in your LIFE, read about a drug dealer on the streets getting life in prison for one of his "customers" overdosing?  I sure haven't, and if you think about it, his service actually helped in the war on drugs.  He provided a place for people who ARE LITERALLY JUST GOING TO KEEP DOING IT, a way to get OFF THE STREETS and PREVENT violence.  This case really goes to show how the war on drugs isn't really a war on drugs, but rather a war on illegally obtained money.  That being said, my heart goes out to the family's of those that fell victim to drug overdoses, but I guarantee you, you're children would most likely still be dead today if not for Silk Road.  The stuff on the streets IS way more dangerous than the stuff that you could get off of Silk Road. 

On the hitman contract thing, it has been determined that this never actually happened, there was no contract and it was a load of BS.  There was also illegally obtained evidence, that when brought up, it was deemed that a warrant was unnecessary because it was on his computer as opposed to his home location being searched.  This stuff might not be a very big deal to you guys right on the surface and directly surrounding Ross Ulbricht, but dig a little bit deeper....  See what's really happening here, and be very weary over what new precedents have been set surrounding this case.  If we as people, don't stand up against this, the future of our privacy is even more at stake.  It's a very frightening reality that the Judge Forrest brought to light through this case, and it really needs to be changed around.  Life in prison should be preserved for murderers, pedophiles and people who commit crimes against women, not for someone who creates a website where ACTUAL freedom existed.  It is so sad that a man like Ross Ulbricht is likely going to be spending his life in prison, he was a very great man despite what you think he is all about because of Silk Road.

if you put it that way I actually feel a bit of sympathy for him... but still he done wrong and paid the price but the sad thing is, is that the price is life in prison... i also agree beings life in prison IS too  harsh... but still this is a lesson for the children that dealing and taking drugs is a bad thing

Edited by awesomecooldude101, 01 June 2015 - 04:28 AM.

they call me te java mayster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users