Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 APS

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 drozman

drozman

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

Hello I'm an old man, I am not into cell phones ( prob the only person in the world) I have an old phone that you can text and make phone calls thats all I need. I have window 7 on my PC. I dont like windows 8 because of the aps . I like a regular desktop does anyone know if windows 10 is going to be an all ap desktop or can it be changed to a regular desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:13 PM

Hi drozman :)

What do you mean by an "all app desktop"? Windows 10 will be the same as Windows 8/8.1, but without the Metro Menu and interface.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:32 PM

What I mean by an all app desktop is windows 8 & 8.1 has nothing but apps that fill the desktop. (just like the smart phones) I like just a normal uncluttered desktop where I can save files. I do not know what you mean Metro Menu and interface. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think you are confused :) The Metro Menu is where all the "Windows apps" are. This:

live20tiles-11331054.png

However, you still have access to your desktop in Windows 8 and 8.1. And in Windows 10, that Metro Menu will go away, leaving only the classic desktop you always knew.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 O.T.T.

O.T.T.

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:17 PM

Windows 10 Insider Preview (10074) :

SXnO0ZS.jpg

Start menu (normal)

sZFsBmY.jpg

Start Menu (overlay)

By clicking the arrows in the right upper corner of the start menu you can change between the two !

If you click on the Windows logo in the left bottom corner the start menu goes away and you have your clean desktop...

OTT

Please ask Google why some of my links don't work anymore !

#6 drozman

drozman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:22 PM

I did not know it was called a Metro Menu, but yeah That's what I meant. thanks all for the info.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

No problem drozman, the pleasure is ours :)

unite_blue.png

#8 RobertHD

RobertHD

• Members
  • 348 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 05:06 AM

Yes I don't mind that style though it would've been better with the one they've got in place for Windows 10

Robert James Crawley Klopp

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:12 AM

I ran Windows 8 and 8.1 for awhile and I had zero apps on my desktop. Are you sure about what you are talking about drozman? I now have Windows 10 and I still have zero apps on my desktop. If you put apps on your desktop drozman, then that is your decision. Oh yeah, by the way. I am an old man and I don't even have a cellphone, let alone a texting device. Maybe I'm older than you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:13 AM

Rocky, check the Post #6, drozman's question was already answered and we explained him the difference between the desktop and the metro menu.

unite_blue.png

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

In post#5 is it possible to delete all the tiles from the start menu (normal) and if you can does is still take up all that real estate or does it automatically shrink?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 May 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:47 AM

It was possible in the early builds, but apparently around build 10000 it wasn't possible anymore. I don't know if they added back that feature, but I'm sure a lot of people want it.

unite_blue.png

#13 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

Regarding your post#1, drozman :

Windows 8 and 8.1 are operating systems with two parts, the proper desktop part and the apps part. The apps run in an annoying and confusing metro interface, the desktop is a little trickier to use than windows xp or 7 but can be made work in a fairly similar way. The lack of a start button* can be dealt with by pinning the programs you regularly use onto the taskbar at the bottom or by learning to use the "windows key"+"r" run command. Once I set them up to my liking I find I am able to use both my windows 8 ad windows 8.1 system without EVER going into the metro interface except when I log on and have to click one button to get to desktop(windows 8 only) and when I log off and have to do so from a menu in the metro interface(both operating systems). It is not too difficult to use windows 8 or 8.1 in a way that avoids the metro menu entirely, but setting them up to be so is a bit bothersome. On windows 8 especially you must change the default pdf reader and image viewer (and other things) to be proper programs rather than apps. A few things regarding some settings (mainly visual personalistion ones) have to be handled through the metro menu on windows 8 and 8.1, but these only need doing once when the machine is new and after that the usual control panel is used.

Window 10 sort of blends them, it is from what I hear a desktop but with some aspects based on the metro interface rather than the desktop one. It is mainly a desktop, with some app stuff mixed in. You can see that from the screen shots of it's "start menu", that is a bit like the metro interface but the operatng system also has normal desktop features in the desktop.

*windows 8 has no start button at all, windows 8.1 has one but it opens a sort of full-screen semi-transparent metro menu rather than a clasic start menu (as you had on windows xp or 7).

Edited by rp88, 31 May 2015 - 03:40 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,197 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

Windows 8.1's Windows logo in the bottom-left corner simply opens up the Metro Menu interface. Like you have when you click on the Windows key.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users